Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: $20-40 Floor Ruling, Ethics?

I don't see a gray area here. The rule is "Don't discuss a hand in progress". I've seen plenty of players tell everyone that he folded a pair of deuces, when two deuces come out on the flop. It's just bad form.

Luckily most dealers will remind players of this before it gets out of hand.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
You can actually get disqualified from some tournaments for talking about your hand.

And showing your hand is, of course, usually plain stupid, and that's why it's allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Showing your hand isn't allowed in tournaments.

b
Old 09-14-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a gray area here. The rule is "Don't discuss a hand in progress". I've seen plenty of players tell everyone that he folded a pair of deuces, when two deuces come out on the flop. It's just bad form.

Luckily most dealers will remind players of this before it gets out of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big mouthed dealer in my no limit game about a week ago was the one to possibly/probably kill my action! Here's the story:

I'm in seat 8 with the big blind holding J8 in a nine-handed 5-10 blind NL game and get a free play. The flop is J-8-7 rainbow. I make a near pot sized bet and get called by seat 9 and seat 7. The turn is a seven making a two flush. Once again I make a near pot sized bet. Seat 9 goes all-in for slightly more than my bet. Seat 7 calls and I call (I can't legally raise this bet).

The river comes a blank and I suspect seat 7 has a slightly worse hand so I make a fairly big bet into the side pot. While seat 7 is thinking seat 9 holds up his hand for the dealer to see. The dealer says out loud: "That won't win here". The action is still on seat 7. I want his call, but I can see him thinking about the dealers comment and eventually he folds some sort of hand. Seat 9 shows A7 and takes the big main pot and I win a minuscule side pot.

I'm easy on dealers but this time I went nearly ballistic.

~ Rick
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And showing your hand is, of course, usually plain stupid, and that's why it's allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Showing your hand isn't allowed in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
And also, it's not allowed in tournaments.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 PM

Just claim you were calling your opponent a homosexual rather than discussing your cards.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just claim you were calling your opponent a homosexual rather than discussing your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM

"I don't see a gray area here. The rule is "Don't discuss a hand in progress"."

Sorry, but this is not correct.

According to the head floor man on duty, there is NO such rule in this room. He said it was bad ethics but not against the rules. He also said , "It's JUST like 'Slow Rolling'. There's not a rule against slow rolling but it is bad ethics".

His words, not mine. He's been working there like a gazilion years.

Also, FWIW, Table talk by others (in multiway pots) happened at this table both before and after this hand. Including by the lady in the #1 seat who said it was against the rules!

FWIW, The guy from Portland (#8 seat) said his confidence remark very loud and I said my Queen remark very loud (so everyone had equal information).

Also note that I never actually said what I had, just that I could beat a Queen. Would it change things if I had said, "MAYBE..... I can beat a Queen?". Or "Maybe, I have a strong hand?".

btw, I raised pre-flop, 3-bet the flop and bet the turn. In a big multi-way pot. I don't think it was that earth shattering that I had a big hand.

I don't talk a lot at the table but I do hear a lot of table talk (in multiway pots) every day. YMMV.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Best Wishes

Howard
Old 09-14-2005, 08:50 PM

I always thought you were not allowed to talk about hands only if you folded. If you are involved in the hand you can talk about your hand.

Regards,
G.I.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From a few hours ago.......

$20-40 in a major poker room on the Las Vegas Strip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Floor doesn't "get" poker. Which room and which floor?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 AM

the point isn't always if everyone has the info but the order the info comes in...
lets say the guy (the "you bet confidently guy") had aces or kings or a set and he also can beat a queen but the guy after him can't...you may have just cost him at least one bet...

It is bad manners to talk about any hand in progress...always.