Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: 5% of Black Males in America are currently in Prison

Did you not make this exact [censored] thread a few months ago?

There are many blacks in prison because

1) They're much more likely to be in poverty. You only have to go a few generations back with black people to find rock bottom absolute zero wealth. It is a cycle that takes a lot of work and time to get out of.

2) It is proven time and time again that blacks are arrested more often per crime (yes, there are ways to measure this).

3) Convicted more often per arrest

4) Get longer sentences for the same crimes as whites

5) Make parole less often

6) Have laws written to discriminate against them. Drugs like crack cocaine which blacks use more often get longer sentences, but "white" drugs like just plain cocaine while being no more harmful get lesser sentences. Also if you're a black man killing a white person, you're much, much more likely to get the death penalty. Whites killing blacks though ... meh.

7) Studies also prove that a white man who has spent time in prison is more likely to get a call back for a job application than a black man (with the same job qualifications) who has no criminal record. Starting to see the cycle?

You can also see racism like this in things like housing, and it probably wont' change anytime soon thanks to the very ignorant-ass attitudes shown in this thread

Please stop making the same [censored] thread.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:19 AM

damn, I hate to agree with KKF here, but I think the government is at fault to a certain extent

how 'bout raising the rediculously low minimum wage to help prevent poverty for starters?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:24 AM

Maybe it wasn't you who made the thread before...

In that case I apologize.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn, I hate to agree with KKF here, but I think the government is at fault to a certain extent

how 'bout raising the rediculously low minimum wage to help prevent poverty for starters?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest a course in economics (and spelling [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

Jobs have to produce more value to the employer than he pays in wages. If the job doesn't produce that value, the job will not exist. Increased legal minimum wage levels either eliminate existing jobs or prevent the creation of new jobs. Low paying jobs are necessarty for the creation of new jobs and new companies, and for workers to get experience and training so that they can then move on to better paying jobs.

The government cannot legislate away poverty. (This is called communism, and has been tried in other places.) It can only maintain a stable business environment that is favorable for growth.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: LBJ\'s War On Poverty Detroyed the American Black Family

And now you are making a subtle racist arguement by implying that blacks are less able than whites to live without doing drugs.
No. You're letting your imagination run wild and you are inferring things I never said. Very few drug users are sent to jail SOLEY for using drugs.

Blacks are well represented in the illegal drug trade. And when they get caught they go to jail. Since a large percentage of drug dealers are black, lots of blacks get sent to prison on drug charges.

Decriminalizing drugs will empty prisons of people who are relatively peaceful and make room for the truly dangerous criminals. I believe the average prison stay for murderer in the USA is seven years and the average prison stay for raper is 3-5 years. Also when you imprison people for selling soft drugs like marijuana, their odds of finding a decent job with a prison record are slim. As a result, many return to crime.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: LBJ\'s War On Poverty Detroyed the American Black Family

[ QUOTE ]
the average prison stay for raper is 3-5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misspelled rapper. And they should definitely get more time then that. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest a course in economics (and spelling ).

Jobs have to produce more value to the employer than he pays in wages. If the job doesn't produce that value, the job will not exist. Increased legal minimum wage levels either eliminate existing jobs or prevent the creation of new jobs. Low paying jobs are necessarty for the creation of new jobs and new companies, and for workers to get experience and training so that they can then move on to better paying jobs.

The government cannot legislate away poverty. (This is called communism, and has been tried in other places.) It can only maintain a stable business environment that is favorable for growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling BS here. I live in Australia where the minimum wage is $13/hour (I think, if you want I will ask my friend for confirmation who gets minimum wage), and for perspective a large big mac meal at Mcdonalds is $6. The conversion rate today is $13 AU = $10.07 US

And as far as I'm aware, poverty levels and crime levels are far lower here. And it's not like are economy sucks because of it, we're doing ok.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI, most people with an IQ above room temperature are aware that "race" is an artificial distinction without scientific basis. All human DNA is traceable back to Africa, including that of my bog-dwelling, potato-eating, beer-swilling, pasty-faced Irish ancestors. All people on this planet belong to the human race.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the September 2005 issue of Commentary magazine Charles Murray writes

"Turning to race, we must begin with the fraught question of whether it even exists, or whether it is instead a social construct. The Harvard geneticist Richard Lewontin originated the idea of race as a social construct in 1972, arguing that the genetic differences across races were so trivial that no scientist working exclusively with genetic data would sort people into blacks, whites, or Asians. In his words, “racial classification is now seen to be of virtually no genetic or taxonomic significance.”25

Lewontin’s position, which quickly became a tenet of political correctness, carried with it a potential means of being falsified. If he was correct, then a statistical analysis of genetic markers would not produce clusters corresponding to common racial labels.

In the last few years, that test has become feasible, and now we know that Lewontin was wrong.26 Several analyses have confirmed the genetic reality of group identities going under the label of race or ethnicity.27 In the most recent, published this year, all but five of the 3,636 subjects fell into the cluster of genetic markers corresponding to their self-identified ethnic group.28 When a statistical procedure, blind to physical characteristics and working exclusively with genetic information, classifies 99.9 percent of the individuals in a large sample in the same way they classify themselves, it is hard to argue that race is imaginary.

The entire article can be viewed at link