Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: $109s - QQ Hand

I haven't read the other responses.

How come you didn't reraise preflop. You have somebody squeezed in the middle and you can define your hand. I would much rather find out if UTG+1 has AA/KK by investing 150 now than investing my stack on a 9 high flop. Reraising will make your hand a lot easier to play I think.

I think you can fold after UTG C/r the flop. There is a small chance you are ahead, but I don't think you will be able to find out without putting your whole stack in.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you usually do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd usually raise, but I don't think calling is so bad, and I've definitely done so in similar situations.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like the call preflop. The raise to 45 could mean anything, so I'd make it 100 and see what happens. You can easily lay down QQ if someone comes over the top of your reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

barf
Old 09-07-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever seen how pretty JJ is?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 06:05 AM

As being a bad player for myself and on the 109 still are enough bad players hanging around I would concern the following thinking for the UTG-player as quite reasonable too (just to point out the opposite of fearing boats, trips, AA and KK):

He played a hand like a small pair or AJ+s. He saw the third player trying to steal, he saw you (with the same original plan of representing the 9) calling his steal-attempt. Then he remembered a chapter of Harrington 1 or 2 - being sure that player 3 sandwiched will fold to his raise and hoping to take the pot right there what might work out against every non-made holding from you.
If you put these hands to his range then I think calling is mandatory and just wait and see how turn and river is going on.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 AM

i'd fold this flop at this point...

however, i think if u had reraised pf (100-150), then you could discount a9 and 33 on the flop and figure yourself for the best hand now (unless u hit rockets or kings)
Old 09-07-2005, 09:54 AM

Wait... I can re-raise QQ preflop? WAHOO!
Ok its on now!!

Seriously though, I agree with everone that this has to be re-popped to 130-150 pre-flop. If I don't re-raise I'll end up with a multiway pot due to the cascading pot odds. If he had raised to 90 or something I think a flat call is better, as I don't have to worry about multiple callers, and a raise to 90 generally doesn't want action, so I think my #4 point in the earlier reply is more valid. Must stop going on auto-pilot preflop...

Anyway, if anyone wants to give their thought process (generally speaking) for deciding whether to re-raise with QQ preflop or not, I'd like to hear it. I recall raptor saying he was calling ay more often with QQ lately?

Oh and thanks for all the replies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 01:33 PM

This is one of those very read dependent plays. Reraise, then if it gets re-reraised, but not pushed, thats almost always a bad sign. If it's pushed, you need to know the pusher. If it's a don't risk chips in level one player, i think you can fold here, if it's an aggressive donk player, call, your almost always against AK or a smaller pair, and the guy doesn't want to have to figure out what to do on the flop.

Steve
Old 09-07-2005, 02:06 PM

I see and use this play a lot. Villian assumes initial bettor does not have trips and caps what appears to be a value raise. I put villian on 10-10 or 2 overcards. JJ would have most likely pushed preflop and anything higher would have hit a bigger bet PF to get heads up. I would push and at a minimum you would win this one 60%. This is 109's so I would doubt this to be a complete bluff on villians part but I would think I have him on a draw majority of the time or smaller pocket pair.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those very read dependent plays. Reraise, then if it gets re-reraised, but not pushed, thats almost always a bad sign. If it's pushed, you need to know the pusher. If it's a don't risk chips in level one player, i think you can fold here, if it's an aggressive donk player, call, your almost always against AK or a smaller pair, and the guy doesn't want to have to figure out what to do on the flop.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Lacky makes a strategy post.

His transition to the dark side is almost complete.

Irieguy