Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: David Pham Chops

[ QUOTE ]

If there is a chance that cursing makes fish uncomfortable, why not restrain yourself from doing it? I understand the occasional slip, but grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is no chance of that.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 PM

The F-Bomb rule was a good idea gone bad. The good idea was to try and curtail abuse of dealers and other players at the table. What we got instead was the F-bomb rule which doesn't help the probelm at all. You still have people acting completely out of line towards dealers and other players, but so long as they restrain from the dreaded F-word then they can get away with much more than is appropriate. Floor staff, dealers and players need to step up in situations where someone is out of line. The F-bomb rule does nothing to help anyone.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yet another example of the extreme idiocy of the "f-bomb" rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

And another example of a headsup opponent who didn't have the decency to let the f-word slide.

99% sure that if I'm David's opponent there, I take the penalty with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such a perfect spot to shout at full volume "F-U-C-K this ridiculous rule."

[/ QUOTE ]

My question from this is what would be the ruling?

1. Both players sit for 10 minutes while the dealer deals and passes blinds back and forth
2. Both players immediately resume play with no time lost
3. Both players immediately resume play with penalty time ran off the clock.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Such a perfect spot to shout at full volume "F-U-C-K this ridiculous rule."

[/ QUOTE ]

hell yea
Old 08-25-2005, 04:43 PM

I woulda said David how about a chop and if your not up for that I will utter the F word also and take a 10 minute penalty .
Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can assure you that among sane members of the poker-touring population, taking advantage of the f-bomb rule in a headsup situation is still considered an extension of angle-shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be surprised Shane how "respected" poker players angle-shoot at every f**g opportunity.

If I were playing HU with you, of course I take the penalty with you. But to be honest, 99% is just too much, there are some as*** in the circuit I happily enforce the rule with.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is supposed to be a gentleman's game, and, yes, ruthless behavior has its place in the game, it simply shouldn't have anything to do with the "f-word."

[/ QUOTE ]

As frivolous as the rule is, it is indeed a rule. If someone breaks it, that's their own doing, not mine. At a full table during the first level of the WSOP, do you encourage the other 7 to sit out while you wait for Matusow to come back from his 2 hour penalty?

[ QUOTE ]
When a silly and widely disliked rule

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? It's a rule, either abide by it or expect your chips to be blinded off. If David didn't know about the rule I might consider sitting out with him, but there's a VERY slim chance of that being the case.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You will be surprised Shane how "respected" poker players angle-shoot at every f**g opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love some examples. Most of the pros I've played with seem to play it straight. Pham, certainly, is a stand-up guy as far as my experiences with him go.

[ QUOTE ]
But to be honest, 99% is just too much, there are some as*** in the circuit I happily enforce the rule with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if there was a player whom I wanted to spite, I wouldn't do it in this scenario. It would be a passive form of agreeing with the rule. The rule is stupid and missaplied, and I would feel disingenuous if I used it to create an advantage in a tight situation.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At a full table during the first level of the WSOP, do you encourage the other 7 to sit out while you wait for Matusow to come back from his 2 hour penalty?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and that hypothetical has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

[ QUOTE ]
So what? It's a rule, either abide by it or expect your chips to be blinded off. If David didn't know about the rule I might consider sitting out with him, but there's a VERY slim chance of that being the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must place a low premium on personal freedom while placing a lot of trust in authority figures to create sensible rules. This is not a sensible rule and by agreeing with it, you just affirm the right of floormen to make up more stupid and constrictive rules that will ultimately inhibit your ability to play poker. It's not like David said "F*ck you I'm going to kill you and you're whole f*ing family." This was a victimless crime.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 PM

How about Vinnie Vinh at this year's 10k PLO event?

The one thing I don't get about the rule is that only the F-word is a penalty, you can use any other profanity you want and get away with it.