Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Flopping a set and the board gets ugly

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if the flop was T 9 Q, I'd almost count on someone holding a J.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thinking this way seems to be a mistake. In the 2/4 game there is no significant diference between the probability that someone in your hand will hold a 7 vs. someone in the example quoted above holding a Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying to some degree, but to say that there is "no significant difference" in the likelihood of someone holding a J or a 7 seems like a bit of an overstatement to me.

Can you at least acknowledge that a flop of T 9 Q is certainly more worrisome than a flop of 8 5 6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Acknowledged. Espcially if you hold the same 88 on the QT9 flop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm less concerned about protection here than I am about getting all DA MONIE$$$ in on the falop. We can't protect against a 7 and shouldn't even try; let's get as much value as we can by betting out (letting hands that are basically drawing dead like AQo, JJ call one on the flop) and hopefully we'll get raised by the PFR and we can 3-bet it, etc.

Tom
Old 08-26-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like this at all.

don't like the c/c on the flop, nor your plan to c/r the turn, nor your rationale for betting the turn.

river is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I f-ed this one up for sure. Pretty standard play given my relative position to preflop raiser is to lead the flop and hope late PF raiser raises.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have bet out immediately, but certainly a check raise on the flop is in order. I think the check/call/slow play on the flop is wrong. So many times I see slowplayed sets get beaten by cheap cards. Don't be greedy, get the money in and fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. What we've learned here is the correct line is to bet the flop, not check raise it. Check raising it pushes everyone else out of the hand aside from the PF raiser. We want to trap them all for another bet by betting out, letting them all call, and letting CO raise.