Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Tip for 1/2 NL? (Warned!! Tipping: Don\'t read if you don\'t want)

I tip proportionally based on the pot I win, anything over $50 and I'll give $2 or more. I've tipped up to $10 when there was about $150 or so in the pot before.

I also noticed that if i'm short stacked and go all-in, and wind up winning I tip a lot. Just as thanks for the dealer for keeping me in the game.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also noticed that if i'm short stacked and go all-in, and wind up winning I tip a lot. Just as thanks for the dealer for keeping me in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough to stay in the game if you're tipping heavily off your already-short-stack.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:08 AM

I totally agree I will usually tip after my session the remainder of a red chip or break one and give it to the staff. I have noticed very few 1/2 players ever tip and if they do they go way overboard. One time I saw an American tourist type tip a green for a 400 buck pot at 2/5 NL(he sucked out with K suited)........ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM

If your in this line of work to make a living the tips is $1.00 --- no more no less ---
Sorry to all my dealer friends -- but $1.00 is the tip
Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She turns me to in shock and said, "You just won a huge pot! You have to give the dealer more than that!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of thing that would really irk me. It's lame to stiff a dealer or be absurdly cheap (I'm speaking generally, not saying that you were cheap here), however a dealer doing this is completely inappropriate and that dealer would receive no tip from me whatsoever for the rest of that down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. "She", in Box' post, referred to the fishy player he was talking about, not the dealer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 08-25-2005, 03:49 PM

I play 1/2NL almost exclusively when I'm playing poker at a B&M casnio. If it's not spread, I play 3/6 or 4/8 or $5/10.

In the 1/2NL game I usually tip $.50 if I can look at the pot and judge it's under $40 or so. $50 to about $150 I usually toss a buck their way. More than that they usually get $2. If it's a huge pot, or if I busted someone for a large amount of money I'll throw a $5 or a $10 tip their way.

Dealers make minimum wage and supplement their income with tips. Yeah, it's obviously their choice to do that but it's a borring repetative job. If it's in a place like Las Vegas, they are watching most people at the table play for recreation while they grind out a paycheck. Usually all my B&M 1/2NL is played in Vegas while I'm on vacation so I'm usually in a pretty jovial mood. I can usually hold my own in that game and a few bucks either way is not going to break me but might make a difference to them. I'm not playing to make my living, usually just to have a good time. Of course I play for profit, and usually to maximize it but a $5 or $10 tip every once in a while isn't going to break me.

One advantage of online card rooms.. No tipping :-) (Given the option though, I'll play B&M any day of the week over an online room.)