Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: PUSH or wait for small stack to be eleminated?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just did the the ICM analysis with SGA, and it turns out that this push is +EV across virtually every set of calling ranges I could come up with. This is definately a push, and the reason is that you have the other two big stacks covered. This means that even if you are called and lose, you still have a shot at the making the money because the other stack is so short.

[/ QUOTE ]Wrong. If you lose to anyone but the short stack you are all-in for less than the BB next hand and shortie can watch with amusement.

[/ QUOTE ] i like how you said "wrong" and then did not do anything to contradict the other guy's point.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's this? [ QUOTE ]
This is definately a push, and the reason is that you have the other two big stacks covered. This means that even if you are called and lose, you still have a shot at the making the money because you have a chip and a chair, but are about to be blinded out next hand, while the current short stack can back into the money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-23-2005, 03:31 PM

sure, what you wrote is also true. i don't know if you intended to show why that first dude was "Wrong" but you definitely didn't.

first dude was only saying that you have some chance of cashing even if you lose, while you wouldn't if the big stacks had you covered.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Would you elaborate on calling standards... I think I have my own pushing standards down (not perfect, but ok), but I rarely win when I call... so I need help here (calling standards in the bubble and ITM) Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically if hero pushes here the blinds should have ultra-tight calling standards (QQ-AA, possibly JJ and AKs) because of the small stack. But I see people calling with 99, AJ etc all the time simply because they don't understand that the only ones helped by such a call is the two players not involved in the hand. They base their call mainly based on their own hand and fail to recognize all the other factors that turn this from a maybe-call to an auto-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since people seem to have a wide range of calling hands, does this mean I need a narrower range of hands to push with?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just did the the ICM analysis with SGA, and it turns out that this push is +EV across virtually every set of calling ranges I could come up with. This is definately a push, and the reason is that you have the other two big stacks covered. This means that even if you are called and lose, you still have a shot at the making the money because the other stack is so short.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. If you lose to anyone but the short stack you are all-in for less than the BB next hand and shortie can watch with amusement.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which part of my post is wrong?

I never said you were garunteed to make the money, I said you still have a shot. I'm also aware of the flaws involved with ICM analysis involving very short stacks (i.e. blind position), I was merely stating the results of the analysis as evidence that this is a push.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since people seem to have a wide range of calling hands, does this mean I need a narrower range of hands to push with?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's usually not as simple as this. Relative stack sizes and blind level are often the dominant factor for push/fold decisions, not your cards or even your opponent's calling range. There are situations where looser calling ranges means you should play less hands, but there are also situations where this means you should play more.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 AM

This is a very clear push. I think their ranges will vary. Some $22ers will be unbelievably tight, trying to sneak into the money...whereas some will be loose because they are morons.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:52 AM

i push this every time. The thing that there is a very short stack is a good thing for you. $22 players make stupid calls but most of them notice the short stack and fold most hands in such a position. For every call you get with Aan J you get 20+ folds and get an big advantage for placing higher after the bubble.