Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: NFL contracts need changing

Yeah its right up there with trading for the Brown's entire defensive line in the offseason. What were we, 30/31 last year, yeah, thats gonna help.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 PM

I'm not saying they were great or even good picks... I'm saying that none of them were a monumental failure.

In the case of Samuels and Davis I would say that the picks worked out pretty well. Sure they aren't in the top 5 linemen in the league, but they probably are both in or near the top 5 at their position. Whats more, having a lineman that you just "know" will be there game after game, year after year is hugely benificial to a team, even if they are just "good."

A lot of the "problems" these players have had I think stems from the fact they have been on horrible teams. No running back has done well in Arizona. No D-linemen have done particularly well in Ohio. Baltimore hasn't had a decent passing game at all since TT was drafted.

And as for them thinking Warrick would be better then he is, I'm saying that they were retarded for thinking so, its a problem with their team, not the draft.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Baltimore hasn't had a decent passing game at all since TT was drafted.

[/ QUOTE ]

travis taylor couldn't catch. Don't blame it on the quaterbacks, he was an abysmal failure. Baltimore, while not throwing much, throws deeper than most others teams. TT was a speedester supposed to fit well into the run, run, run, throw over top of the safeties approach. but he couldn't catch the football. He also had health, attitute and poor route running issues as well. end of story, he has been a bad receiver over the past 6 years.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Baltimore hasn't had a decent passing game at all since TT was drafted.

[/ QUOTE ]

travis taylor couldn't catch. Don't blame it on the quaterbacks, he was an abysmal failure. Baltimore, while not throwing much, throws deeper than most others teams. TT was a speedester supposed to fit well into the run, run, run, throw over top of the safeties approach. but he couldn't catch the football. He also had health, attitute and poor route running issues as well. end of story, he has been a bad receiver over the past 6 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blame for the abysmal Balt passing attack is shared by all involved, not just TT.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 PM

thanks captain obvious. too bad that has nothing to do with the point of the post you are responding to.

TT has had more balls pass through his fingers than elton john and richard simmons combined, and his team's bad passing game is no excuse or justification therefore.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 PM

Actually bad throwing could be the main problem with a lot of those drops. I haven't seen a ton of Baltimore games (which sucks because they are one of my favorite teams) so if he's actually that lacking in talent, I guess I'll see it this year. Its just that from what I've seen he has always looked decent/good. Also the Vikings coaching staff and Daunte seem pretty high on him, last I heard he had made it to the starting lineup.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying they were great or even good picks... I'm saying that none of them were a monumental failure.

In the case of Samuels and Davis I would say that the picks worked out pretty well. Sure they aren't in the top 5 linemen in the league, but they probably are both in or near the top 5 at their position. Whats more, having a lineman that you just "know" will be there game after game, year after year is hugely benificial to a team, even if they are just "good."

A lot of the "problems" these players have had I think stems from the fact they have been on horrible teams. No running back has done well in Arizona. No D-linemen have done particularly well in Ohio. Baltimore hasn't had a decent passing game at all since TT was drafted.

And as for them thinking Warrick would be better then he is, I'm saying that they were retarded for thinking so, its a problem with their team, not the draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of my posts in this thread are that rookies are paid way too much coming into the NFL, based entirely on speculation. All of the players mentioned, I'm sure, are serviceable and even desired NFL player. The point I'm making is that when they were drafted at the spot they got picked, and rewarded with sick signing bonuses, I guarantee the teams that drafted them expected more. These players will never again sign for bonuses as fat as they signed for without every having played an NFL down. IMO, that's a problem.

That said, football rules.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT has had more balls pass through his fingers than elton john and richard simmons combined, and his team's bad passing game is no excuse or justification therefore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Jake plummer's prior performance in the NFL was a fantastic indicator of how he would play in Denver.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they paid him anyway -- another fine example of Shannahan's pro talent evaluation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake Plummer has been good in Denver. He hasn't been a significant upgrade over Brian Griese or anything, but he's been good.