Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Having kids when you aren\'t wealthy....

also if you are wealthy but cant give time for your kids you shouldnt have them. if youre some big swinging dick ceo or lawyer who works too much having a kid is a bad idea, just like poor parents who cant provide financially.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:09 AM

and they are worth every penny....

I'm actually on both sides of this, sorta.

I grew up pretty poor, been pretty poor til i married a woman who made 2x as much as me, then she lost her job when 7 months pregnant while I was making 45k a year working 70+ hours a week. Not sure if it was the pressure or what, but I started kicking butt in poker, found how consistantly beatable SNG's are, and she got an even better job, and we have a wonderful, beautiful son, and a daughter on the way. Every day I think about how lucky I am, even when I get bad beat to death. Lots have it way worse than I do, and even than I did, but it's all worth it.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find this thread very sad. I have 3 kids and I am by no means wealthy but I make enough to live comfortably enough. I cant just pop into the store and buy whatever, whenever, but who cares? For free I can go fly kites, swim, color, and play boardgames with my kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I think the OP has a point, but it's clouded by the fact that he used the word 'wealthy'.

People who can't support children shouldn't have them, but that's completely different than saying people who aren't wealthy shouldn't produce offspring.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:11 AM

I would like to think I'm guy number 2. Hopefully not a douche too much but married at 38.

One thing I didn't expect was how hard the old life would die. I liked being single.

So now after the rough start, things are great. I'm sure we'll stay together. It was touch and go at the beginning though.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, there is much more to life than money.

[/ QUOTE ]
see how long you last doing any of these things without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really doesn't prove your point at all. I never said money wasn't very important. It's just clearly not the only thing. It's certainly not the most important 'thing' either.

In my opinion, those who think otherwise should go back to 1985.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously i was exadurating when i said the only thing. but just by a little. money is the basis for everything is the point i'm trying to make. money IS the most important thing. money is the reason why people spend 40+ hours a week doing [censored] they hate. without money you cannot eat, cannot pay rent, cannot get married. you cannot do anything worth while without money. MONEY = FREEDOM = A LIFE WORTH LIVING.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find this thread very sad. I have 3 kids and I am by no means wealthy but I make enough to live comfortably enough. I cant just pop into the store and buy whatever, whenever, but who cares? For free I can go fly kites, swim, color, and play boardgames with my kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isnt about material possessions. its about freedom.

if you are single. you dont need to be wealthy.

married/kids = YOU NEED MONEY....
Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this isnt about material possessions. its about freedom.

if you are single. you dont need to be wealthy.

married/kids = YOU NEED MONEY....

[/ QUOTE ]

Siggghhhh, this is getting sad.

Sorry, but your freedom is one of those things you sacrafice for your children

No matter how much money you have, it is still wrong to dump your kids with a sitter and go club'in on a school night.

Better advice on parenting can be found from Chris Rock in 'Bigger and Blacker' then in this thread.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he means freedom to do as you please. this should include spending time with your kids, rather than slugging it out at some piece of [censored] job 60 hours a week just to avoid eviction.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he means freedom to do as you please. this should include spending time with your kids, rather than slugging it out at some piece of [censored] job 60 hours a week just to avoid eviction.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:36 AM

Parents make a lot of assumptions. They assume that they will have a nice healthy child who when he/she turns 18 will be able to provide for themselves. What happens if your kid is born with disability ? Yeah, you're kid is double [censored] because you are an idiot.