Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Return of the Fantasy Football Advice Column

Here's a question you'll have to go deep for.

16 team dynasty league. 25 man rosters. We drafted 3 or 4 seasons ago. You keep ALL your players each year, so the rookie draft is key.

Somehow I managed to luckbox my way to the championship, yet still entered this season with no QB on my roster who is projected to be a serviceable starter (Josh McCown was my starter last year. Yes, my situation was that dire).

So, I had to make a move since I have the last draft pick in the rookie draft, and Smith and Rodgers have already been taken. I swapped LaMont Jordan and Chad Hutcheson for Byron Leftwich and Jerome Pathon. Edge and Dillon are my two starters.

Anyway, I need to take a chance on a QB in the rookie/FA draft. What are your thoughts on Jason Campbell and Charlie Frye? Jay Fielder is also available in the draft.

Or should I consider Jacobs of NYG or Shelton of Carolina, and hope Campbell or Frye slips to me in the 2nd?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I need to take a chance on a QB in the rookie/FA draft. What are your thoughts on Jason Campbell and Charlie Frye? Jay Fielder is also available in the draft.

Or should I consider Jacobs of NYG or Shelton of Carolina, and hope Campbell or Frye slips to me in the 2nd?

[/ QUOTE ]

My league is similar, at least when the draft is concerned.

I cannot imagine that any of those four will be around at 32. Just isn't happening. I'd also be honestly surprised if Campbell lasted that long, but I don't know your league otherwise. Even then, I can't recommend a Gibbs QB on a team that likes to run WR talent out of town and haphazardly pick QBs.

My top choice would be Frerrote if he's around. Forget Fiedler -- the Jets are not going to start him unless Pennington is really hurt, and he'll lose that job once Chad comes back.

Frye would be my #3 choice. He is likely to get a look before the year is out and may get that audition right when Braylon Edwards starts to get it. That could help him immensely.

My #2 choice is Kyle Orton. There's virtually no reason for the Bears to not let him get snaps, given that they're going to suck all year anyway. He has a legit #1 WR, a good TE, two good RBs, and a few good secondary WRs. Why not?

Second round, if you want to get a QB then and take Jacobs/Shelton #1, there may be a few possibilities, but I'd have to see who are free agents. A quick list of possibles include Matt Schaub, Andrew Walters, and K Holcomb.

I'd grab Bradlee Van Pelt and/or Stefan LeFors in a later round.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My #2 choice is Kyle Orton. There's virtually no reason for the Bears to not let him get snaps, given that they're going to suck all year anyway. He has a legit #1 WR, a good TE, two good RBs, and a few good secondary WRs. Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]Why must you crush my hope and dreams of a good Bears season. You'll see! YOU'LL ALL SEE!!

I have to go cry now.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:01 PM

Let's talk trades:

Here is my team:
Brees - QB
Brooks - QB

Holmes - RB
McAllister - RB
Foster - RB
Bennett - RB
Duckett - RB

Walker - WR
A. Johnson - WR
Lelie - WR
Coles - WR
Evans - WR

His team:
Favre - QB
Pennington - QB

R. Johnson - RB
J. Lewis
E. James
Benson

Kennison - WR
Ro. Smith
Muhammed
Williamson

Heap - TE
Pollard

He really really wants Walker. And I think I could exploit it, and get some real value out of it.

Walker/duckett won't get me lewis/james, but I'm sure he'd give me R. Johnson or E. James in the right package.

Would any of this be beneficial for me? Should I try to press hard for one of those backs for my #1 WR?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My league is similar, at least when the draft is concerned.

I cannot imagine that any of those four will be around at 32. Just isn't happening. I'd also be honestly surprised if Campbell lasted that long, but I don't know your league otherwise. Even then, I can't recommend a Gibbs QB on a team that likes to run WR talent out of town and haphazardly pick QBs.

My top choice would be Frerrote if he's around. Forget Fiedler -- the Jets are not going to start him unless Pennington is really hurt, and he'll lose that job once Chad comes back.

Frye would be my #3 choice. He is likely to get a look before the year is out and may get that audition right when Braylon Edwards starts to get it. That could help him immensely.

Second round, if you want to get a QB then and take Jacobs/Shelton #1, there may be a few possibilities, but I'd have to see who are free agents. A quick list of possibles include Matt Schaub, Andrew Walters, and K Holcomb.

I'd grab Bradlee Van Pelt and/or Stefan LeFors in a later round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about Orton. I may just take him anyway then.

Frerotte is available. I actually already have Holcombe on my roster.

What are your thoughts on Jacobs vs. Shelton? Does it matter? Shelton seems much more likely to get PT this year.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What are your thoughts on Jacobs vs. Shelton? Does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts:
Both are going to get carries, mostly at the goal line. Neither are going to be primary ball-carriers absent injury, and even then, maybe not. Shelton is more likely to watch his #1 go down, but Jacobs is more likely to become the #1 if his does. Frank Gore is a better bet, but I'd be shocked if he fell to 16.

Does it matter who is better?
No.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:05 PM

Yeah, Gore was taken already.

I'll probably decide between either of those guys, or perhaps Heath Miller.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's talk trades:

<snip>

He really really wants Walker. And I think I could exploit it, and get some real value out of it.

Walker/duckett won't get me lewis/james, but I'm sure he'd give me R. Johnson or E. James in the right package.

Would any of this be beneficial for me? Should I try to press hard for one of those backs for my #1 WR?

[/ QUOTE ]

His WRs suck. Wow.

Before we try and figure out a deal, note that your only target here is the Edge. Lewis and Rudi are on the same level as Deuce, and it's not worth adding another player of that caliber (who you can't start) for a WR like Walker (who you'd start without fail). Normally, I'd not make this deal anyway, because having a great backup RB is a bit silly, but when Priest Holmes is your #1 and you don't have Larry Johnson, it's a good idea.

You got very lucky. Pennington's week 8 matchup is @BUF while Brooks is vATL. Much better matchup for Brooks. Why week 8? That's GB's bye week.

I'd point this out and then offer him Walker, Brooks, and Duckett or Bennett (doesn't matter as you'd almost never start either) for the Edge and some trinket, maybe even Penny. (My trinket would be Rod Smith, as a boom or bust player and as Lelie insurance.) You can also afford to offer him Walker and Foster for Edge. In any event, if this a 3 WR league, and you pick up Edge w/o moving Holmes or McAllister, you're going to want to move another RB for a high risk, high reward WR.

All in all, though, I'm not sure that you are best off making this deal. After Walker and AJohnson, your WRs are all young and enigmatic, and there's no clear #2 fantasy WR on that list.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is your starting/backup TE? And who else out there is available? (I can't imagine there are many.)
Old 08-19-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is your starting/backup TE? And who else out there is available? (I can't imagine there are many.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a synopsis of my starters and playable backups at each position (besides QB):

RB - James, Dillon. Thomas Jones, Verron Hayes, Dominic Rhodes.

WR - Holt, Andre Johnson, Marty Booker. Morton, Watts, Caldwell

TE - A. Gates. Schoebel, Winslow (grr).