Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: I\'m tommo and I\'m a poker addict

[ QUOTE ]
I advise you you're an idiot. This guy's academic and social life is declining because he has an unhealthy preocupation with gambling. The answer isn't become a professional gambler any more than telling an alcoholic he should become a professional drinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find something you enjoy doing for fun and for work.

Play less poker. First take a break. When you come back to playing, you might find you enjoy it if you play for a few hours a few days a week.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GPA and internships don't mean too much if you're planning on starting up your own business, and 200K in seed money is a lot more important. If you can earn that much money playing poker over the next year, don't sweat four tenths of a point on your GPA and internships... the addiction question is another story. If you go corporate or start up your own business and still are obsessed with the game, then it's counseling time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, everyone has a college degree these days, getting one won't guarantee you anything. If you own your own business nobody cares what college you went to. I am self employed and play poker part time, while I am not a professional poker player (I play very low stakes) it is fun being able to play it recreationally while enjoying cashflow from my business.

Now if your goal is to be a professional poker player, having a business is a great thing because it's a financial cushion. When you have more than one income stream it will ease the pain out of your losing streaks. However, that doesn't mean you need a degree and a job to be successful.

There are millions of people out there fighting for jobs right now, and only a handful creating new jobs. Which would you rather be?
Old 08-17-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my freshman year of college all I did was go out, meet people, drink, party, hook up with girls, blah blah blah and that gets old really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

This proves that youth is wasted on the young.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 PM

I tip my hat to anyone who can do that every day of the night except on sunday's for over 5 month's and not get tired of it.... I know I got sick of it.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 PM

Come see me when you are 40. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 12:02 AM

I think you're just bragging and trying to make me envious.

It worked.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 AM

Perhaps money is not the be all, end all answer to life, no?

Reevaluate your values and what is truly important in your life. Then base all your decisions off that lifeplan.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:45 AM

take a semester off. spend it traveling. don't touch a computer.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:29 AM

Hey! I just got a programming job, its in a cubicle and its pretty boring. But, its very stable (income every month) and did i mention its stable? Yes, stability is very nice. After work everyday, I drive to the card room near my house and i work my "2nd" job, which isnt quite as stable, but seems to make me alot more money then my first one. I finished my degree about 2 years ago and would recommend you do as I well. Poker is going to be here forever and ever, but the chance to get a degree and the opportunities it affords you does not. Do finish what you start knowing that poker is always going to be there waiting for you, should you ever want to take it. Yes, that is my advice for you. And regarding the addiction... whats the big deal? You win at it, you prolly got highly developed skills for it so even if its an addiction alot of good is coming from it. But if you were losing your rent money, doing poorly in school cuz of it, then yea, you'd prolly have a problem, but your gpa still is good, you're winning money, so whats the problem?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:07 AM

I graduated from a university this last spring and am now playing poker as my only source of income. It's better money than any other job i could realistically get right now, but i'm on the other end of it - i don't play nearly enough. I only play enough to make about 5-6k a month. My social schedule pretty much determines my day and I play poker when I have nothing planned. So far I enjoy it quite a bit. I plan to travel a lot this year - which brings me to my advice for you. I would start finding things you are interested in and enjoy them. Travel, eat good food, meet new people, read more, and figure out what you're passionate about (hell, take up fly-fishing) and play poker when you have time. I'm very grateful to have this type of freedom at such a young age - and with such independence. I don't know what I want to do either - but i don't mind having fun shopping around for it for the next 5-10 years either. Enjoy this time - and don't get too hung up on hoarding money - nothing sours life more than an ambition such as this.