Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: The Great Debate, PTB vs A. Fox Starts Here

"You missed the boat David. This should have been a debate between andy and NotReady."

I disagree. They start out with too many different axioms so they can't catch each other in contradictions. That's why I want to see a debate between Not Ready and Peter666 (who as you may remember, stated that the ONLY two positions that can logically make sense is atheism or his brand of Cathlocism.) To him, Not Ready is evidently as much a fool as bossjj, even though he and Not Ready believe many of the same things. Surely you can see why that debate would be more fun to watch. I'm springing for two more hundred to get it on. Meanwhile I haven't given up yet on PTB and Andy.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See David, the real reason this debate wasn't more interesting is that PTB just makes lots of short dilettantish, skeptical comments regarding relgion, and isn't particularly religious. He likes to take a smattering of Jesus' sayings that he agrees with as part of an overall humanistic philosophy, but really doesn't believe any of the foundational tenets of Christianity. For all intents and purposes he is an agnostic and thus there isn't really a large gap between his and andy's thinking. At the most his beliefs would be compatible with Unitarianism, which I don't consider truly a Christian denomination.

You missed the boat David. This should have been a debate between andy and NotReady.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this characterizaion of PairTheBoard. I think PairTheBoard is making some remarkably profound statements that are just starting to soak into the petrified conceptual frameworks of a lot of people around here.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 04:24 AM

Good. So lets resurrect the debate before a doubting BluffThis's eyes. All that's necessary is that you mention a specific thing that you believe that you know Andy doesn't.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good. So lets resurrect the debate before a doubting BluffThis's eyes. All that's necessary is that you mention a specific thing that you believe that you know Andy doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you "feel so unsatisfied" David? (That's from Rounders)

Maybe you should go back and study both Andy's and my remarks. I suspect you are missing many of the levels on which our remarkable debate was so evenly and profoundly contested.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-14-2005, 05:01 AM

The reason that PTB isn't a good choice for this debate is that his "views" really aren't deeply held or thought-out beliefs at all but just a series of flippant remarks that don't actually constitute a belief system.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:05 AM

Sadly, I think I am starting to agree with you. Anyway do you agree that Not Ready vs Peter666 has the potential for a lot more fireworks and gore than Not Ready vs Andy Fox?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:33 AM

Yes I do. The interchange of their internally logically inconsistent belief systems would be very interesting to observe.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:43 AM

DS --
"Anyway do you agree that Not Ready vs Peter666 has the potential for a lot more fireworks and gore "

Fireworks and gore sounds like fun.

BluffTHIS --
"their internally logically inconsistent belief systems "

Sorry Andy and I couldn't supply that for you.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-15-2005, 12:17 AM

I don't have deeply held or thought out beliefs about philosophy or religion either. The subjects are simply too arcane and/or ridiculous with which to bother.

Just a closing flippant remark.