Old 08-12-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Things to do in Paris

I went to Paris a few years ago and the most memorable things were:
Eiffel Tower
Metro
Musee D'Orsay
Cemetaries
Cinemas

The best thing is the cafes. You can get wine in the morning, sit outdoors and drink your cafe au lait...

It really does not matter one bit what you do in Paris, it's going to be magical and romantic no matter what. God, these memories are so great - I want to go back right now! You're going to love it.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:08 PM

My take on Paris.
You said restaurant, cheap, Paris. Sorry you can only have two of those. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Musee Dor'say = pretty cool
Louvre = cool but crowded
Eiffel Tower = didn't have time to hit the top
Subway = far less useful than the tube in London, mainly useful for getting to/from the airport/train station.

Best transportation for sightseeing is those big double decker tour busses. There is two or three companies. Sure you get to see stuff and get some lame audio commentary, but they are super useful since they stop at a lot of stuff worth visiting. They run a loop with many busses, so you just get off at what you want to see, then go catch the next bus when you are done. The busses are 15-30 mins apart. You can probably get a two-day pass for them. (In London these things are great. You get live tour guides and ours was funny as hell).

If at all possible play at the Aviation club. It is right there on the Champs Elysee. That and the hotel was the ONLY place in Paris where the people were actually nice. I think if you actually abused a dealer anything like I have ever seen in the states they would likely toss you out the second story window it was great.

Pancho
Old 08-12-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the Rodin museum.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:21 PM

stop in at the aviation club and see the poker. then eat dinner there as it is awesome for a fixed price full meal, 40 bucks or so.
picasso mus. and the mus. of modern art(called the pomadieu) are high on my list.
have fun
Old 08-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Okay, I've never been to Paris but I've been to France. But if I were going to go and wanted to see something most people don't, I'd track down a copy of the book "Permanent Parisians". (There's also a companion called "Permanent Londerers") They are guidebooks to the city's graveyards.

Outside of Paris, if you are in the Brittany area, go see something called Carnac. One of the truly great megalithic sites in the world, you'll be amazed that it was built over 5000 years ago.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:12 PM

this thread had far too few hilton references. but those that were there were great.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Patton Oswalt's account of his Paris trip. Hilarious.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:54 PM

If you go to the Louvre when they open in the morning, it won't be crowded at all.

Eiffel Tower at night is amazing. And there's no line if you go late.

The modern art museum that Ray mentioned is great too.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:12 PM

Born and raised in France.... If you can you should try to go on those boats (called bateau mouche) that run on the Seine (river), you will be able to have a great dinner and see a lot of the "Old Paris". It will be very romantic as well (I think you mentioned you will be there with your gf)

If you want to go to the Louvre, just be aware that the visit will take you almost an entire day.

Versailles is also so beautiful and one of my favorite spot. You can take a train there (for cheap).

For food, just try some of those little cafes in the little side streets, (not on the Champs Elysee, too expensive and not that great) they always have good specials and the people are always friendly.

Have a great time
Old 08-12-2005, 06:51 PM

The museum pass is an absolute must, not for the monetary savings but the time savings. Especially in August, who wants to spend an hour standing in line? Orsay >>> Louvre

As Ray Zee said, the restaurant at the Aviation Club is quite good and, for what you're getting, very reasonably priced. Does Ray ever give bad advice?

I really like cheese. If you really like cheese, go to L'Androuet.

Go one block down almost any sidestreet and you will find a good bistro/brasserie. Very good food, good prices and good service, especially if you at least try to order in French.

It's August - have some ice cream (well, it's a lot better than that!) at Berthillon on the Ile St-Louis.

If you play at the Aviation Club and win, go to L'Ambroisie. Make reservations, wear nice clothes. You'll spend $500+ for 2; "not too expensive" is a relative term in this case. It could be argued that $500 is not too expensive for what you'll eat there.