Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Most sngs played in a month???

[ QUOTE ]

I'm will look into this I'm currently going to school right now and I know I want to do something with Business.

[/ QUOTE ]

If finance truly interests you, go for it. If it doesn't, find something else to do with your life. The money is crazy but the bulk of the industry is made up of arrogant f*cks, the hours are long, you have to wear suits every day, the work can get pretty tedious, and its one of the more shallow career options out there. If you're an intelligent, driven person you're going to make decent coin no matter what path you choose, so pick something you enjoy.

That's coming from someone that doesn't even mind his job all that much (buy side equity research, math econ background). I just see so many intelligent guys that enter the industry and get trapped by the money/success, failing to realize that they'd probably be equally "successful" in whatever they chose to do.

BTW Hornacek is right. I-banking is sick sick coin ($1m is def possible 5 years in) but it sucks the soul right out of you.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I couldn't wait to play more the next month. Maybe I'm not recalling accurately, but I really don't feel like I was burned out at any point"

FWIW I feel kinda the same way. I wouldn't say it's 'fun', but playing sngs has become more enjoyable since I started playing volume. Before I started this challenge, I'd find trying to put in just hrs a day would be tough. Now I don't think I'd have a problem putting in 5. So it's only taken 3 days of long hours to change my effort issues. I guess I just needed to get into a routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes.. i remember those days.. i couldnt wait to load up more sngs and watch as my graphs rose and fell based upon my performance day by day. it grew tiresome though.. after seeing the same thing over and over.. maybe i just need frequent change.. who knows. i couldnt do this forever though. thats all im saying. gotta have things to keep you fresh for sure. i didnt. i had more sngs to keep me fresh. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor how long have you been playing poker online(seriously). Do you have $100k+ bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

online seriously? well.. over a year.. since december since it was 40+ hours a week. and as to the bankroll? lol. hell no. i go to vegas too much. holla

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, how about saving? Any plans on that? Or a retirement fund or Roth IRA? I've been playing semi-seriously for the last two years, through my Bachelors and Masters degrees. However, since starting my job, I've realized how inconsequential the money I made was, compared to how much I can make at my current job.

What are your long term goals?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:41 PM

That's kinda the thing. Even though things are a little skewed right now because we are living in a boom town of poker, the skills and abilities you need to be a successful poker player will usually make you more in other areas. There is a lot of phantom income with poker (that is non monetary lifestyle things that make it more attractive than the actual income), but there is also some not so great stuff.

So raptor, what are you studying?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I couldn't wait to play more the next month. Maybe I'm not recalling accurately, but I really don't feel like I was burned out at any point"

FWIW I feel kinda the same way. I wouldn't say it's 'fun', but playing sngs has become more enjoyable since I started playing volume. Before I started this challenge, I'd find trying to put in just hrs a day would be tough. Now I don't think I'd have a problem putting in 5. So it's only taken 3 days of long hours to change my effort issues. I guess I just needed to get into a routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah yes.. i remember those days.. i couldnt wait to load up more sngs and watch as my graphs rose and fell based upon my performance day by day. it grew tiresome though.. after seeing the same thing over and over.. maybe i just need frequent change.. who knows. i couldnt do this forever though. thats all im saying. gotta have things to keep you fresh for sure. i didnt. i had more sngs to keep me fresh. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor how long have you been playing poker online(seriously). Do you have $100k+ bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

online seriously? well.. over a year.. since december since it was 40+ hours a week. and as to the bankroll? lol. hell no. i go to vegas too much. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

What sng level do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, 55s to step 5 highers, depending on what im looking for. i generally go with massively multitabling the 109s. thats where i have the most games played. right now im messin with the 55s though. holla
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, how about saving? Any plans on that? Or a retirement fund or Roth IRA? I've been playing semi-seriously for the last two years, through my Bachelors and Masters degrees. However, since starting my job, I've realized how inconsequential the money I made was, compared to how much I can make at my current job.

What are your long term goals?

[/ QUOTE ]

one long term goal. (ok its a few wrapped into one) get rich before im 30. start a family. happily spend time with them without worrying about clipping coupons. holla
Old 08-11-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's kinda the thing. Even though things are a little skewed right now because we are living in a boom town of poker, the skills and abilities you need to be a successful poker player will usually make you more in other areas. There is a lot of phantom income with poker (that is non monetary lifestyle things that make it more attractive than the actual income), but there is also some not so great stuff.

So raptor, what are you studying?

[/ QUOTE ]

what am i studying? oh god. i suppose finance.. that was my intent like 3 years ago. nothing else seems to make sense to me.. this semester im just knocking out some required classes though. seems a bit of a waste to take a theatre class, but they make you. meh. holla
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW Hornacek is right. I-banking is sick sick coin ($1m is def possible 5 years in) but it sucks the soul right out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of college, you are more looking at a/b 100k a year for the first two years (working 100+ hours a week). After that, they pretty much force you to go get a MBA.

After the MBA it gets interesting $ wise. Same hours, but you can shoot for a 500k bonus a within 2-3 years.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM

raptor. do you play 55s all the time or something else in off peek hours?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of college, you are more looking at a/b 100k a year for the first two years (working 100+ hours a week).

[/ QUOTE ]

That comes out to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just enough time to go home, take a nap, and come back to work. Everyday.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raptor. do you play 55s all the time or something else in off peek hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

i play whenever. the games suck at all times. holla