Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: I don\'t think q/q is out of line here

To my knowledge we have the full completement of troops in Iraq. Moreover, we have hundreds of thousands of troops stationed around the world at non-essential bases that can be pulled in. They drew a few thousand out of South Korea.

Our volunteer military functions effeictely because the people are volunteer, trained, often career military. Throwing a bunch of untrained kids into the army doesn't really help it achieve any of its objectives. You only need mass conscription when your fighting large wars of attrition on open battlefields.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:17 PM

The point is a draft is enacted when the army needs people besides career military. When they need additional troops.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To my knowledge we have the full completement of troops in Iraq. Moreover, we have hundreds of thousands of troops stationed around the world at non-essential bases that can be pulled in. They drew a few thousand out of South Korea.

Our volunteer military functions effeictely because the people are volunteer, trained, often career military. Throwing a bunch of untrained kids into the army doesn't really help it achieve any of its objectives. You only need mass conscription when your fighting large wars of attrition on open battlefields.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the fact that the military admits they're going to miss their recruiting goals is meaningless then? I'm having a tough time believing, given what I know, that the military doesn't need new enlistments. From what I know, they're in desperate need of new volunteers - so I maintain that it's hypocritical for war supporters not to enlist.

The need is clearly there.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is a draft is enacted when the army needs people besides career military. When they need additional troops.

[/ QUOTE ]

They need additional troops now - no? You're saying the military couldn't use additional troops now?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:29 PM

Basically. I've been saying that the army needs to be restructed for a long time, that troops in those bases need to be reallocated.

If additional troops were needed in Iraq then the military wouldn't be drawing up plans to withdraw 30,000.

It seems to me the problem in Iraq isn't a lack of troops, it's a lack of running the war correctly.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:31 PM

No it doesn't. I've been saying that for a long time, not just in posts about Iraq. We have just as many troops in Germany and Japan as we have in Iraq. WHY?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No it doesn't. I've been saying that for a long time, not just in posts about Iraq. We have just as many troops in Germany and Japan as we have in Iraq. WHY?

[/ QUOTE ]

There has to be something to the military openly declaring that they're missing their recruiting goals - I can't imagine that it's just meaningless. I can only assume they need more man-power.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is there are tons of military age war supporters. Far more then the military could possibly use. You can't expect them all to enlist.

[/ QUOTE ]

....and why not? There comes a time in every man's life where you have to put your money where your mouth is.

This is not a new debate, but the ongoing aggravation of it is those who advocate sending others off to war, but are unwilling to serve themselves.

There have been many words used to describe those.....chickenhawks, etc.

I like the simple word......

Coward.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 PM

I see a lot of people calling for intervention in Sudan. I see a lot who said we should have intervened in Rwanda. I don't see those people joining the red cross and going over there. When liberals sent American troops to the Balkans I didn't go to everyone who supported that war and demand they enlist.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see a lot of people calling for intervention in Sudan. I see a lot who said we should have intervened in Rwanda. I don't see those people joining the red cross and going over there.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're hypocrites too.

[ QUOTE ]
When liberals sent American troops to the Balkans I didn't go to everyone who supported that war and demand they enlist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not asking you to enlist; I'm asking you to, given your unwillingness to enlist - consider why you're unwilling, then reconsider your support for the war, given your unwillingness.