Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you crap in the backyard?
Yea I gots to go 79 55.24%
No (what do you do then)? 64 44.76%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: home game penalty for cussing - what to do?

Honestly, if I were one of your buddies I would do all that I could to avoid hitting a nerve. I've had friends who took issue with the same phrase. (

The worst has been gay family members...I regularly screw that one up)

If I was facing a penalty for a $10 to $20 "fun" poker tourney with friends I would suggest we move the game.

Slips happen, if this guy has a fowl mouth you're not going to get around it. If he's testing you than he's simply a prick and unless he's dead money I'd just let him know he's not invited to any future games should he choose not to abide by your house rules.

I think it's petty, but if you're the one with the tables, chips, cards, etc...they'll either get over it or the game will go dead if it's that big of an issue.

My $.02

-Ryan
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 AM

Take a page out of the nun's handbook, ruler to the knuckles. Then hit him over the head with your bible.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a page out of the nun's handbook, ruler to the knuckles. Then hit him over the head with your bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, didn't think about that one! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I like this, because it'll require Crazyn8 to keep a bible next to him at the poker table.

Oh, unless he does that all the time, anyway.
-Sam
Old 08-11-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just looking for help with a fair way to penalize people in home tourneys.

History:
I take issue with the use of G.D. This is well know among my friends. Most of them try to avoid using it but it slips, I understand. I don't blow up or get all pissed about a few slips. However, one individual in particular seems to try to use it as much as he can or push the envelope as hard as he can - just to be an ass. It doesn't mess my game up but it bothers me that someone (an adult) would act like this....thus:

I am thinking of enaacting a no cussing rule in our home tourneys (yeah, I know, you don't have to say it). This way seems fairer. All cuss words are banned - which effets me.

My question: What is the best way to penalize for this?

1st a warning then: sit out a certain amount of time, take a certain number of chips from them and put it in the next pot, or other?

If time, how long?

If chips, how many? X# of BBs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you don't have a problem with cussing generally don't try to ban all cussing out of some idea that its fairer. Its like trying to hit a fly with a sledgehammer, its just a bad idea and will create much more problems and ill-will than its worth. Ban the G.D. word only and be done with it.

If you ban it all, you know you're going to get some people slipping out with a damn or a shit and its going to seem inoccuous and get overlooked. Then somebody comes out with a fuck or something and suddenly he gets warned or penalized and tempers will start to flare. Plus, some mild cussing for some people makes the game more enjoyable, or is just part of their vocabulary and banning it will lower the enjoyment for a lot of folks. I don't cuss at the games I've played in, but I would find a rule against irksom anyway.

Make it clear you don't have a problem generally, but that that one word is a problem for you and I don't think people will get too upset, particularly if you give em one slipup (a warning), if you enforce a ban on it.

I don't think it matters too much what the penalty is. I might start at five hands sitting out (and blinds go in if they hit him) after a warning for the first offense. Is there really any need to escalate from there? Keep going five hands. You could escalate, but I think the answer is that anybody that can't control that one word after a warning and a penalty can safely just not be invited back again. After all, its not nearly as reflexive for most people as shit, fuck, or damn.

--Zetack
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM

This is just my two cents, but I think the whole hog cussing ban is too much. It's one phrase (and it's derivatives) and the person doing it is being an ass. Just make it clear that that phrase is unacceptable, if he keeps it up can his ass.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:20 PM

This was my favorite answer BTW, with bonus points for being the first one.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to ask, at what point do I make them kneel on rice?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 PM

"Wow, some people don't like to read entire post. I never said I had a problem with cussing..thus "it affects me, too"(sorry Larry)...I said I don't like G.D. "

Read ALL of my posts in this thread to get a true picture of what I understand about your goals.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:29 PM

Leg- then he can't catch you