Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: I am planning on being a dumb tourist in NYC, tell me what I should do

I grew up in hawaii, have been to vegas in the summer many times and played baseball in oregon in the summer in 109 heat. the hottest, stickiest, muggiest (and probably grossest, considering what is or may be floating around in there) I've ever been was in the NYC subway in late summer/early fall during a heat wave.

the unlimited rides pass is the nuts, though.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: I am planning on being a dumb tourist in NYC, tell me what I shoul

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- Tao (if you like a nuts atmosphere/scene)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this place is overpriced and not as good as it should be. I'd recommend China Grill instead for this type of Asian-fusion food. Of course, Tao is a beautiful and sceney space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think as far as Asian-fusion-y food goes, Momofuko is the place to be. I used to love China Grill but I was back in March and I think it sucks now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I just checked it out and Momofuko looks nothing at all like Tao/China Grill style Asian-fusion. It does, however, look like Republic, which I like a lot. Do you like that joint?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this place is overpriced and not as good as it should be. I'd recommend China Grill instead for this type of Asian-fusion food. Of course, Tao is a beautiful and sceney space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think as far as Asian-fusion-y food goes, Momofuko is the place to be. I used to love China Grill but I was back in March and I think it sucks now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I just checked it out and Momofuko looks nothing at all like Tao/China Grill style Asian-fusion. It does, however, look like Republic, which I like a lot. Do you like that joint?

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo tried to get me drunk and take advantage of me at Republic.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I grew up in hawaii, have been to vegas in the summer many times and played baseball in oregon in the summer in 109 heat. the hottest, stickiest, muggiest (and probably grossest, considering what is or may be floating around in there) I've ever been was in the NYC subway in late summer/early fall during a heat wave.

the unlimited rides pass is the nuts, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent summers in India and in Houston. I agree w/ your assessment.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:01 PM

while standing on the platform waiting with 5000 other riders waiting for the train that doesn't seem to be coming, do you ever think "gee, I wonder what other vapors besides bum-urine are floating around in here"
Old 08-04-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just mean the notion of several types of Asian food together under one roof. Momofuko is to Republic what Luger is to Outback. And I like Republic.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just mean the notion of several types of Asian food together under one roof. Momofuko is to Republic what Luger is to Outback. And I like Republic.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Momofuko is on the list for next week. Along with Churrascaria Plataforma in Tribeca.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Momofuko is on the list for next week. Along with Churrascaria Plataforma in Tribeca.

[/ QUOTE ]
You will eat at least 5 lbs. of food at Churrascaria Plataforma. Make sure you have the proper strategy in place before you sit down, though.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: I am planning on being a dumb tourist in NYC, tell me what I should do

If you go to Nobu, make sure you don't do Nobu Next Door, you will have a much better experience at Nobu, and let the waiter help you with your selections. Mesa Grill sucks big time, I would skip it and do one of Batali's places instead - Otto if you want pizza, probably Lupa if you want Italian. Although Batali himself is an ass, and some of his dishes aren't that hot, some are quite good and at Lupa and Otto the price is right. Speaking of Pizza, if you make it out to Coney Island, hit up Totonno's for the real deal NY pizza.

The deli you are thinking of, as mentioned, is probably Katz's. I think it's pretty sub-par. But, if you want an amazing burger, do Luger's at lunchtime. Get the cheeseburger with fries and a brooklyn lager. You'll be in heaven.

Nigel
Old 08-04-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Along with Churrascaria Plataforma in Tribeca.

[/ QUOTE ]

Churrascaria Plataforma is not as great as you are anticipating. You will leave in a food coma; perhaps that's what you're looking for. Skip the first round of chicken and sausage and go for the pork, lamb, and beef.