Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Criss Angel Mindfreak

This may not be the right place to say this. But almost all, possibly all, magic is based on "fooling" the spectators into thinking that one thing is happening rather than what is really happening. Camera tricks are perfectly legal in presenting magic on tv or film. Magicians, like poker players, are allowed to lie! Including the lie, "No camera tricks were used in making this tv program." Some magic presented on tv doesn't use camera tricks, some tv magic does use camera tricks.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch the levitation episode. Explain how any of those uncut scenes are tricky camera angles and editing.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about when the camera was nearly ON THE GROUND in one of the shots and like 20 ft back. If I remember correctly it was when he stood right behind a plant and went way up in the air. The angle was mysteriously crappy.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the "magician" at your local magic shop just doesn't like the "new breed" type of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he said when Criss comes to town that he stays with him. Really.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:41 AM

I don't mean to argue with you, because at least you're taking a reasonable approach to this thing, unlike 68 stang.

You saw what he did when he had that chick right out in front of Binions. You saw the part in the park. People can say what they want about being on fire...but those parts just can't be explained as camera tricks when you watch the guy let the chick go in mid-air.

Also, the whole picking up cards without touching them, and the card that ended up outside the bus...maybe I just like to suspend my disbelief. Its fun. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 02:22 AM

Are you referring to the voodoo dolls? Funny how the people he does these tricks on have the combined IQ of my nutsack. And as far as them picking the spot he'd make bleed, I wonder how many takes it took him to get those right.

And getting a garbage can pressed over you, then appearing somewhere else IS impossible. There's a big crowd around, it cuts to the crowd, then back to the garbage can. It only shows ONE angle. Connect the dots.

I just don't really like big tricks like that. I'm a fan of on the spot closeup stuff like sleight of hand in coin tricks. Not too big on tricks that take big preperation.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 AM

I was actually still talking about the levitation.

One time he went up off the ground and onto a chair. Another time he followed the escalator up in the Aladdin. Then he did the whole bit in the park and then out in front of Binions with the chick from the crowd.

I don't see any real explanation for this bit...it certainly wasn't a camera angle trick.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:42 AM

How? Just because it looked real? You can't just say, "he levitated! Thus, it can't be a camera trick!"

They show only 1 angle every single time. I imagine if you see the other angle, the trick will be ruined.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 AM

wheres the link?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:10 AM

Well, at least when they had the chick outside Binions, and the one in the park, they went around them. So while only one camera was filming, it was a shot in motion. Just some food for thought.

I accept that when it comes to magic, there will be skeptics as well as believers. Or at least those of us who suspend our disbelief a little longer. I'm the first to admit that a lot of these COULD be sketchy, but if they're faking things like the levitation, they're doing a damn fine job making it hard to disprove.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:14 AM

has anybody seen the episode where he does the garbage can, voodoo doll and the ring in the ice cube tricks?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:21 AM

That's what we're talking about. Edge, are you familiar with the Balducci method?