Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. If I decide to go this route, it's still a ways away. One of my options would involve me working near the WTC, in case that has any bearing on people's suggestions. Most of the suggestions seem to be near lines that go straight there, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could move in with me and my wife and commute with me. We need someone to do the laundry, feed the cats, and play high stakes no-limit holdem.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. If I decide to go this route, it's still a ways away. One of my options would involve me working near the WTC, in case that has any bearing on people's suggestions. Most of the suggestions seem to be near lines that go straight there, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could move in with me and my wife and commute with me. We need someone to do the laundry, feed the cats, and play high stakes no-limit holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you guys would watch Law and Order together.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i don't know [censored] about NYC but based on my visit there i would live in what i think was called washington square
Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 PM

East village. You can get a sweet 1BR for $3K/mo. I had a 1BR for $1,800 a couple of years ago. I lived on east 11th st between 2nd and 3rd ave which I liked a lot. It was close to all bars and rastaurants in the village but I was also close to the Union Sq. subway stop which you can pretty much get to anywhere from there since it is a major subway stop.

If you are looking to spend $3k, it seems like you might want a new building with doorman and all that crap, unfortunately, there are not many of those buildings in the village, but my friend lives in a very nice new building on East 7th st. between Ave. B and C. It is a REALLY nice place, but a little far from the subway, but I think it goes for like $2,500/mo.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live 4 1/2 minutes by train from the WTC, and the train leaves ever 4 minutes during the day, every 15 minutes in the evening, every 1/2 hour from midnight on. I think you should look at my area reguardless of JBB's opinion (he has never been here before).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should look at my area reguardless of JBB's opinion (he has never been here before).

[/ QUOTE ]
While there is nothing wrong with your place, it's not even in the state he wants to live in. Hanging out int he neighborhoods he described would be a much more laborious task from your apartment than it would be from somewhere in U Sq./Greenwich Village/SoHo/etc.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've got a lot of options open to you. I'd go with a nice doorman bldg in the West Village. Search Craigslist just to get a sense of neighborhoods and what your options are.

Under no circumstances live where TT lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you don't want to live like a King.

My place would be near 10K/month (I'm not kidding... my place is expensive for Jersey City, but super cheep when you compare it to what was available for the same caliber in Manhattan) if I lived in Manhattan proper, instead I'm 4 1/2 minutes away by train to the World Trade Center, and 25 mins total from Soho. Its easier to get to my place to the Soho area than it is to get from JBB's current place.

Funny thing is that if I decide to sell my car I'm moving back to Manhattan. If I get a new car (I'm slobbering over Max Power's new Accura) I'm staying put. The tax and transportation benefits are huge, and the quality of life is far better than if I moved back to Manhattan.

[/ QUOTE ]

what type of acura?

[/ QUOTE ]

RL. Its a step down from my current Audi TT, but I need to save some cash. The NX isn't 1/2 bad either. I'm also considering a Mini.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

RL. Its a step down from my current Audi TT

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know how much Acura RL's cost?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

RL. Its a step down from my current Audi TT

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know how much Acura RL's cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

RL's are sweet. Technologically an amazing car as well...not to mention all wheel drive.

When you say NX, do you mean NSX?

I hope the Mini thing was a joke.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My place would be near 10K/month

[/ QUOTE ]

This I don't believe, but I've never seen it so I don't know.

Also, if you live in one state and work in another, this actually icnreases tax complications and in some cases, tax liability.

TT: When did you become the Jersey City troll?