Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: first follow-up

[ QUOTE ]
Bearly,

Poker is a complicated game, and it is not possible to beat the rake by simply playing from a list of instructions.

A few independent groups are working on AI programs that can play winning poker, and soon there will be a bot that can beat something. But even that program would be a tremendously sophisticated computer, using alogorithms that a human would not be able to implement in real time.

Saabpo did not beat the rake.

You may or may not be able to beat the $22's. Having a mentor would be helpful. But nobody will be able to give you a guide, that in and of itself will make you a winner.

I wish you luck and success... but this ridiculous thread is not likely to be a springboard to loot and booty for you.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so nice to have a good player who acts as a sanity check on the forum. I nominate Irie for Vice Moderator. He can take over in times of emergency if Citanul is unconscious or incapacitated. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: A mentally handicapped person could...

I can think of two friends of mine who are extremely smart (one PhD in Econ from Berkeley - was taking graduate classes in Math at 19 - one computer programmer wrote video games for lucas arts) who absolutely can not play a lick of poker.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM

this is cut and pasted from an earlier post, but it is the best advice i can give.

Steve

ok, honest advice here. Get her a copy of low limit holdem by lee jones or getting started in holdem by ed miller. miller is probably best but i havent read it. start her out at .02/.04 at stars. there is no rake, no pressure and if she cant beat it, she cant beat anything else either.

have her work on playing the correct hands in the correct position preflop, then work on playing the flop etc, as she works through the book. whithen a month if she's gonna get it she'll be doing well at these games and asking intellegent questions about certain situations. If she says things like i dont play 89s because i never get the flush, i changed tables couse i was unlucky there, i dont like to raise with AK couse usually i dont get anything, etc, give up. i'm really not joking either.

If all is going well, she can move up to .05/.10 limit (still no rake), then progress her way to .5/1 on party. playing well you can ave about 3 to 4 bb/100 hands at .5/1, playing a little over 200 hands an hour on 4 tables. so, with rake back about $8 to $11 an hour, 2x if she can 8 table, with very little varience.

If she makes it this far (and you should realize it's a big if) she can easily learn nl ring or stt's to branch out, or progress in limit.

the reason to focus on limit first is everything she needs is easily availible in good books, so other than some help spotting her leaks and answering questions she can easily teach herself if she is motivated.

Hope that helps. The reason I have tried to teach people before is to give them an easier life. I understand where your coming from and I hope it works out, it just doesnt usually.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...in times of emergency if Citanul is unconscious or incapacitated. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you tell?

-----------Jeff
Old 08-01-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re:second follow-up

hi, does a person who claims that"...it's because of the handys that 10% roi+ is so easily achieveable..." sound like a person w/ the brain power to actually perform this feat? if so, bigotry is not confined to the ignorant.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is more like sex because:

You raise and then move all-in with the nuts, after a call.
Pushing is also okay as long as you've played some hands.
You don't want to see a flop, and want to be careful of calls from other players, especially if you've been going all-in a lot lately.
Only one of you will be happy when the river comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, you win =\
Old 08-01-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if Citanul is unconscious or incapacitated.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's as good as Citanul gets = unconscious or incapacitated [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post is a brilliant demonstration of ignorance. On so many different levels, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe there is a guy out there like the one in "Rainman". Instantly calculate ICM every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That call is definitely +EV. Definitely +EV. I'm an excellent pusher.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Great movie. He would probably also be able to remember the outcome of every hand he ever played too, but his bankroll management would suck since he had no concept of money.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:00 PM

i dont think theres any ignorance involved in my statement, i guarantee if i went to harvard or another school where there were a bunch of real bright kids took 25 kids and taught them for 2 months that they would be easily beating the 109s.