Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Here was the situation. Bottom of the tenth , 2 run lead, 2 0uts, no runners on base. Yeah I would say lot of things went wrong before that ball went through Buckner's legs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 PM

Best - The Music City Miricle (I saw it live)

Worst - One Yard Short (I also saw this live, and from my viewpoint I thought he had scored)

Interesting that these were only a few weeks apart from each other.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best - Keith Primeau scores in the 5th OT to beat Pittsburgh and tie the Flyers-Penguins series at 2-2 in 2000. I was glued to the TV for 7 1/2 hours, unable to sit for the last 4 hours of it, and the entire time expecting the Flyers to lose because they lost virtually every playoff OT game over the previous five years. Just complete euphoria when Primeau scored. The high lasted fully 3 days. Got pulled over and charged with wreckless driving the next day...didn't give a [censored]. Everything just bounced off me for a while after that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not even a phylers or penguins fan, but as a huge fan of playoff hockey this game was awesume. I remember watching this and by the 1st and 2nd overtime the 4th line players were getting more ice time then the stars on the 1st line. Also remember Mark Recchi; the guy would not stop, he was skating just hard late in the game when most others clearly could not keep up.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:48 PM

Best: Joe Carter's homerun in the 9th, 1993. I mean, how does it get any better than a homer to win the World Series?

Worst: Cancelled hockey season. Close second - the Leafs losing to the Hurricanes in 2002. Close Third - Roenicks goal OT game 6 in 2004 to knock out the Leafs.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:49 PM

Best: I'm an SF Giants fan, so it hasn't happened yet...OK, Montana to Taylor.

Worst: It should be Game 6 of the '02 Series, but I was already well into my 30s and these things don't seem to hurt as much as when you're younger. Therefore, the worst was the Candy Maldonado slide in Game 6 of the '87 LCS against the Cardinals. I think even Dave Dravecky muttered some profanities to himself when that happened.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Here was the situation. Bottom of the tenth , 2 run lead, 2 0uts, no runners on base. Yeah I would say lot of things went wrong before that ball went through Buckner's legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the obligatory "fyp". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best - was a year for me actually. 1997. I'm a UofA basketball fan and a Denver Bronco fan, and they both won it all that year. Magical times for me.

Worst - the three superbowls in four years that my donkeys got blown out of Super Bowls in the late 80's. That next Monday at school was always brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was happy when the Broncos went back to back. Surprised they lost in the playoffs to Jacksonville the year before winning too. And the Super Bowl losses were disappointing. But it all paled in comparison to 1977 for me for a variety of reasons. I think age was part of it. As I mentioned I was too young to know better. But there was also a different feeling around town that was hard to explain. Denver fans had an unbelievable inferiority complex, constant whining about Howard Cosell not playing enough Bronco highlights, feeling inferior to the Raiders, all kinds of stuff. When the Broncos finally won against their most despised rival people went nuts. The whole season was fun really. It just seemed smaller then too. You had more of an attachment to the players and team. I remember the lockout in what '74 or '75 when we went and watched the players work out without coaches at a high school field. You could buy used actual jerseys then because the team needed the money I suppose. People would go greet the team's flight at the airport. Just seemed different. By the time the Broncos won it really was different, although I enjoyed seeing them win. It almost made up for getting rid of the orange jerseys. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No better game than playoff hockey.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. It will be even better, if April ever arrives.

At least we have the Olympics to look forward to.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:58 PM

Best: Cal-USC, Cal beats the #3 team in the nation in triple OT. Best game I've ever seen, a tremendous feeling live after watching mediocre-to-embarrasing Cal stumble through the previous five seasons.

Works: Raiders-Patriots in the snow, the infamous forward motion call.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Oh, thanks for bringing back hateful memories.

Worst:
Brett Hull's No Goal - It was at least 2 weeks before I recovered from that one.
Darius Kaspairitis sinks the Sabres - Pens score with 30 seconds left in Game 6 and win in OT, then this tool ends Hasek's Sabre career in Game 7. Kill me.
Bills lose 4 Super Bowls in a row - I cried after Norwood missed the kick, probably cried at some point during the others.
Music City Miracle - That pass was forward, everyone forgets how great Rob Johnson was that game.
Kent Hrbek punts Ron Gant off 1st base - Twins cheat to win.
Jim F'n Leyritz kills the Braves - Ugh, my teams always seem to choke.

Good:
Bills comeback vs. Oilers - Amazing. Even more amazing was how the whole crowd stayed after being 32 points down in the 3rd quarter.
Sid Bream - I still get goosebumps every time I see that play, as well as Otis Nixon's catch of Andy Van Slyke. Ahh, I miss the old choking Pirates.
Braves win the WS - Wohlers finishes off the Indians, the only pro title any of my favorite teams has ever won.