Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Facing a turn reraise with TPTK

[ QUOTE ]
When you guys advocate calling down, do you mean AFTER he's raised the turn and is facing the reraise? Because I find with TPTK, if it's HU and I pf raised and raised the flop, a donk bet by my opponent on the turn means I should just call it, not raise. Is this too conservative? Do we gain any value by raising our opponent on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you bring up an interesting point here. The problems I see with simply calling down when bet into are:

-The opponent may be betting with a vast range of hands, including a worse Q, a redraw or a lower pair. He may also be testing the strength of your hand. I think it's too hard to narrow his hands down when he simply bets into you, and because of this I still felt I was best. A reraise suggests a lot more about the strength of his hand than a bet does.

-While calling down the initial bet will save you money when you are behind (if you choose to call down when reraised), I think you are forgoing a substantial amount of value raises when you are ahead.

-Calling down in this situation, to me, suggests you feel you are behind and in this case getting 4-1 to see a showdown is insufficient to attempt to outdraw. I feel that if you can be confident you are behind when you're bet into a better line would be to fold. Though, I highly doubt this will occur, unless you are up against an unbelievably passive, straightforward player.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Facing a turn reraise with TPTK

Capping turn is stupid. Call down or fold, whatever floats your boat. Folding is not bad, but you have no reads and your hand is good here more often than you think so it's not bad to call down.