Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Expectations for 8-tabling...

Sippinsoma or Klepton. I just realized you could mean either.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:25 PM

Klepton
Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 PM

It's an exaggeration, and I didn't mean any offense. I'm not even close to that money, but moving up has always benefitted me more than adding tables ever have.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:39 PM

I often picked my tables randomly and I'd play anytime of day/night/dawn/dusk. I'm sure that I'm not one of the better players here. Although it's been a few months since I've logged in substantial poker. I have a pretty good winrate though, so I believe a better player could get 4BB/100 at Party 2/4.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:26 PM

Essentially I am pretty happy with my 'poker skills', if you go ask over in the MTT forum you will see I am quite adept at the game. However, the basic question was if I will see any HUGE differences in playability while 8-tabling. Generally I will have 3-4 3/6 games going and the other 5-6 will be 2/4, whichever I feel like dabbling in for the night, this alone will increase my monthly take but I was just curious what others felt when they made the jump from 4 to 8 tables. I am glad that this post has sparked some debate though, especially over the figure of 4bb/100 as sustainable which I will still argue to my dying day is a fallacy long term.
~Justin
Old 07-30-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Klepton

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be banned....
Old 07-30-2005, 09:26 AM

Justin,

Like I said in my first post I had a lot of trouble making the jump from 4 right to 8. But I'll add that I think it depends a lot on the person. I never really played video games (other than chess which is pretty damn slow) and my attention span probably isn't the best so having 8 games at once all of a sudden was a bit overwhelming. I guess though it didn't really take me long to get used to it and for you it may not be a big deal to start with. If you haven't already though I'd make sure you set up all of your software color coded so it's very easy to see (green for loose, red for tight, etc...). That helps.

As for the win rates...I'm not saying what is sustainable and I'm not saying what isn't. I don't really care to be honest and no one really knows and no one will ever know for sure. This has been discussed previously and it's really pointless IMO. All I care is that I make as much as I need to make and hopefully some extra for toys.

Hope the 8-tabling works out well for you.

Chief
Old 07-30-2005, 10:45 AM

I use to 12 table the 2/4 and I don't think multitabling significantly reduces winrate if you do it well. Prior to 12 tabling I had maybe 70K of 3+ and after I moved up I think I won at close to 2. Just do it and see how you feel. Adding tables 1 or 2 at a time is a good idea. It's also a good idea to periodically play more tables than your regular number. It gets your multitabling skill up. I practices 12 tabling 1/2 short to get ready for 12 tabling 2/4 full.

Krishan
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use to 12 table the 2/4 and I don't think multitabling significantly reduces winrate if you do it well. Prior to 12 tabling I had maybe 70K of 3+

[/ QUOTE ]
this is bs

[ QUOTE ]
IMO 4BB/100 is attainable as long as you aren't playing off peak hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is also bs

If your current winrate is based on say 3-5 multi-table ratio and you jump up to 8 tables your winrate will go down and it could be consideraly-this depends on how adept you are at playing more tables obviously and also your ability to select decent games while 8-tabling. Many people push to play 8 tables, throw out game selection and probably would do better overall if they played 1,2 or 3 tables less. IF by 8-tabling you are throwing game selection out the window your winrate could further be hindered compared to ease with which you or I can select "good games" when you are playing fewer games comfortably.

Also you should be getting at least 30% rakeback if you are doing $6K or more a month in MGR in general.

If your bankroll is large say for $2-4 or $3-6 and you dont mind the added variance that a lower winrate will bring by 8-tabling go for it if your overall earn including rakeback makes sense. If you want to strive to have a decent earn which will be a stepping stone to move up..you ideally want your winrate to be 2bb/100-3bb/100. IF you start out 8-tabling and your winrate suffers such that your variance increase alot play fewer tables until you find the proper balance.

IF by adding tables your earn goes down substantially say from from 3.00bb/100 to 1.50bb/100 or 2.00bb/100 to 1.00bb/100 you are adding alot of swinginess to your daily results. Adding tables only decreases your overall variance when your winrate stays static if your winrate suffers badly you most do whats best for your overall earn including rakeback.

I know you are a very good MTT player not sure how you play ring games..if it were me I would first establish a solid winrate at a fewer number of tables say 3-6 then add up to a total of 8 or 10 when you feel more comfortable and you have a better feel for things..in general the advice onthis board is way too formulaic. You need to figure out what works. Just dont 8-table and grind until you have a solid underpinning to your game at whatever limit you are playing.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:08 PM

I have the same dilemna... I used to play a ton of FPS/RTS games so multi-tabling came really easily to me. I currently 8-table 2/4 and my BB/100 wallows between 1.5-2 usually. Since i'm still a bit shy of 20K hands it can still go up and down a lot if I hit a big winning/losing session. I'd say those numbers definitly look do-able though. I'm currently debating moving to 3/6 but I fear a bad start (even though i'm sufficiently rolled) so I currently stay in my 2/4 blanket of fear :P