Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: A new theory on Negraneau challenge matches

Going broke has very little to do with it. Most of the top players have been broke at some time or another. Sometimes more than once. Are you suggesting that somehow because I have never gone broke that I am a better player than Doyle Brunson who has gone broke more than a few times?

If Cooke and Mason were so good, they would play bigger games. Thats all there is to it.

Daniel's history of going broke was alcohol related. That doesn't reflect bad play. He actually wrote about this if you want to verify. Sorry that I don't have a link handy.

Here's what Barry has to say about Daniel's cash game skills:

"Daniel has become a consistent winner at the $1000-$2000 level in a limited side-game schedule."

Here is how he rates him on different areas of his game:

Aggressiveness: 7
Looseness: 7
Short-handed: 8
Limit: 8
No-limit: 8
Tournaments: 9
Side games: 7
Steam control: 7
Against weak players: 8
Against strong players: 7

Sorry, I couldn't find Mason or Roy on the list. Maybe that is because they aren't world class players?

I am not attempting to discredit them. I think that they are both very talented writers, and I have no reason to doubt that they are very successful in the games that they play.
[ QUOTE ]
Why am i the bad guy saying there better. But yet your the good guy by saying daniel is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that you're the bad guy. I just think that you often go out of your way to attack Daniel. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Is Citanul Serious? Troll not = insult.

[ QUOTE ]
will not believe that calling someone a troll on an internet message board constitutes "name calling."

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? This is a convenient way to explain away any guilt one may have in beginning a flame war. whether you explain yourself or not I can assure you that any self respecting person that posts on the internet that and is called a TROLL will feel insulted. Is this also how our moderator feels? Someone told me that you Citanul are a forum moderator. Please tell me it isn't true.

Not an insult! Please get real.

Vince
Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can imagine is "damn, there must have been a way to learn whatever it is I'm learning for less than half a million bucks a pop."

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting comment from a guy that everyone on this fourm claims plays to win tournaments and is not concerned moving up the ladder when in the money.

Vince
Old 07-27-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if this doesn't happen, he can still just choose to stop at any point and take whatever loss he as accrued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier said than done...
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 PM

It's very simple why he does it. DN is a genius - a poker genius. That doesnt preclude him from being an idiot in many other spheres. But he's of the "tortured genius" variety and seems to suffer from mood swings and mild depression - even when winning.

The challenge matches are a way to stoke up his motivation and revitalise himself. Arguing who's better at this or that game is missing the point. DN will raise his game significantly because of the circumstances and be a favourite over most people.

I'm reminded of Bobby Fischer, the former world chess champion. Although he was regarded as a great player his tournament record was not remarkable. However in the series of candidate matches that eventually got him to the world championship he completely destroyed a succession of world class players. Of course there's no luck in chess and DN can still be beaten no matter how well he plays, but I am confident that he will end up way ahead in his challenge matches.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:46 PM

Could you restrict your comments to ones that contribute to the subject being discussed and aren't backhanded attempts at provoking others to attack you?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Is Citanul Serious? Troll not = insult.

Are we all 2 years old on this forum and can't brush off someone calling us a troll? Instead you post a response, designed and worded to do nothing more than stir the pot and distract people from any actual substantive discussion of poker. Instead we are now talking about the insulting nature of the word troll.

And for those of us who want to tell you to grow up and stop being a 2 year old, doing so just gives you the attention you wanted in the beginning when you made the incendiary post. Unfortunate little situation there.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let put it this way. If Dannyboy got in a full limit holdem ring game against the likes of lenny martin, david sklansky, abdul, mason malmuth, Roy Cooke, howard,lederer,jennifer harman he would eventually go home runnin to momma after he went broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy Cooke? The 30-60 player at the Bellagio? I think that Negreanu built his bankroll up to where he can play significantly higher than that, I dont see them playing in the same game, and I think one of them would probably be playing scared money.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Is Citanul Serious? Troll not = insult.

[ QUOTE ]
Are we all 2 years old on this forum and can't brush off someone calling us a troll?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is an emphatic NO! And the reason is that your forum Moderator does selective Banning based on who he likes or dislikes. I didn't start anything. I asked a question concerning the posting policy of the forum moderator. The childish behavior is his and those other here that sling the first arrow and then take offense when someone retaliates. And yes you who directed your comments towards me yet found the behavior of the moderator and those that like to sling insults not worth a comment.

Vince
Old 07-27-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you restrict your comments to ones that contribute to the subject being discussed and aren't backhanded attempts at provoking others to attack you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The above is advice the person that gave it should truly consider following themselves. Now little boy my comments were meant to stimulate debate on tournament EV. Something you don't appear to be interested in or know anything about. So please read the quote above again and follow the advice.

Vince