Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Chad Brown: Worst Play Ever

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Frangos' QQ laydown was a phenomenal decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

PfffffffffftttttTTTTTTT

Raise, reraise, re-reraise. Erm, no.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confident that I would be able to lay down JJ there but tossing QQ without a second thought takes a lot of discipline and good poker instinct. You guys are, however, judging based on results only. I'm sure if it turned out instead that Erick and Stan both had A-K, a bunch of you would be talking about what a bad laydown Nick made. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having watched it this morning, I think this can be best explained by the fact that it would have put him nearly all-in. A three way all-in, being third in, is not the place you want to go with QQ. Had he been 2nd, no doubt he was in there.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

raise, reraise, 3-bet in that situation, you think QQ is EVER good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why is it a phenomenal decision if you can make it so easily?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's an easy decision. Basically, it was said that this is "results oriented" because it so happened that kings were held. Does that mean every KK laydown against AA is bad, but it may seem good if you look at the "results"? No, stupid argument, good laydown.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM

Tran's preflop raise was ok as a pickup from the BB for the antes and limps. Brown probably read that it was a pickup with any two, and called him down accordingly.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tran's preflop raise was ok as a pickup from the BB for the antes and limps. Brown probably read that it was a pickup with any two, and called him down accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

THis is the problem with ESPN's coverage. Right before the hand occurs they said that the blinds are 6,000 - 12,000 with an ante (don't remember what this was). The whole table limps and then tran makes this raise. The raise is not that horrible of a play I guess, but the amount he raised made little to no sense to me. If blinds really are what ESPN said they are at this point and there are 8 limpers plus money already in the pot, the pot is somewhere in the range of 100,000 - 120,000 chips at this point. Tran announces a raise, but only 40,000 chips.

This action leaves the pot somewhere in the neighborhood of 140,000 to 160,000 chips, basically a good enough price for any hand to come in.

The next part of the hand does not make that much sense either. Brown flat calls and lindgren flat calls as well. Here it seems that lindgren is in a push or fold situation despite how well the pot was laying him. The only person who has him outchipped is brown and if brown is slow playing something by limping UTG, then his flat call should assure lindgren that this is not the case. I don't see how a flat call here helps because if the board comes all undercards to lindgren's JJ he is going to have a difficult time getting away from it

So lindgren should only be worried about AA, KK, QQ, and maybe AK and AQ if he is looking to avoid coinflip situations.

It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

That said I thought Tran was a huge donk who got extremely lucky in navigating his way through a pretty strong final table.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Frangos' QQ laydown was a decent, but mostly routine decision that I hope most of us would be able to make because it really wasn't THAT difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the lamest response ever. You're just assuming that he's being results oriented for the sake of being a douche. If El Diablo had said "I really thought Nick made a great laydown with that QQ" you wouldn't have said that. Lame. Lame. Lame.

edit: with that said, it was an easy laydown everytime.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:24 AM

I think the idea of raising a small amount with the QJs there is pot building with a suited connector. I don't know what his chip stack, but if he had the chips, and everyone else was sufficiently deep, he'd let to build the size of the pot, so, in the event he does hit a big hand (straight, flush, two pair, whatever) he can extract the most money out of people who feel pot committed with their top pair or set.

I mean, that's why I would raise there. If I raised. Which I wouldn't. But I'm not that good at poker.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:51 AM

IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS LAY DOWN INSTANTLY YOU ARE NOT YET PLAYING COMPETITIVE ENOUGH POKER
Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 AM

If this were limit hold em, I would agree. But in no limit, where any other player can take the pot from you with any two cards, I have to disagree. Pot building pre flop in no limit is not typically a wise move, unless you have a premium hand.

Lindgren really dropped the ball and let Tran off the hook. Tran should have been punished severely for that raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea of raising a small amount with the QJs there is pot building with a suited connector. I don't know what his chip stack, but if he had the chips, and everyone else was sufficiently deep, he'd let to build the size of the pot, so, in the event he does hit a big hand (straight, flush, two pair, whatever) he can extract the most money out of people who feel pot committed with their top pair or set.

I mean, that's why I would raise there. If I raised. Which I wouldn't. But I'm not that good at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just like to say that I disagree 100% with this assessment.