Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Why do Jews Reject Jesus - Part 2

[ QUOTE ]
However, I'm addressing myself to Christians, and you are all avoiding the question. Why should I accept the gt while rejecting all other "holy" books?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are addressing yourself in this forum to all who read it, a vast majority of whom you can safely assume are neither Christian nor Jewish. How about just answering the question regarding Moses. And if you are going to say Judaism didn't have its beginning with him, surely you agree that all that follows in Judaism is based upon him and the reveleation he supposedly receieved.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 PM

The Orthodox Rabbis have an unbroken link going back to Moses. There is wide agreement among what they believe. The disagreement is only over minor details.

Non-Orthodox groups are relatively recent forms of Judaism. They pick and choose what commandments to follow, which is completely contrary to the Torah. Non-Orthodox "rabbis" don't stay within the guidelines that have been followed for centuries.

This is discussed somewhat here:
Hillel and Shamai

Of Wounded Souls

To Know

God's prophecies and promises to the Jews have been fulfilled only in the spiritual and physical descedants of the Pharisees, not in the Saduccees or Christians or anybody else.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All other religions, including Christianity, are man-made. They started when some person claimed to have received a personal revelation from G-d. (In the case of Christianity, this person was Paul, not Jesus.)

[/ QUOTE ]

uhmm, there was quite a bit of spreading before Paul ever got involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no historical evidence to support that. No one from Jesus' alleged lifetime even noticed him. Paul was the first to write about him, and that's how others heard about him.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:47 PM

Paul himself talks about going to see peter and the others that came before him.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are addressing yourself in this forum to all who read it, a vast majority of whom you can safely assume are neither Christian nor Jewish. How about just answering the question regarding Moses. And if you are going to say Judaism didn't have its beginning with him, surely you agree that all that follows in Judaism is based upon him and the reveleation he supposedly receieved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree that Judaism started when Moses received the Torah from God. Someone had to write it. I've discussed why I believe it's true. I've also said I don't think the existence of God, or that He gave us His Torah, can be scientifically proven to the extent that would satisfy an atheist. What exactly is the question that I'm not answering?

You guys are still being morons for thinking that you prove the truth of Christianity by discrediting the Hebrew bible, because doing so disproves Christianity at the same time.

You seem to imply that if I accept the Hebrew bible as true, even without absolute proof, then I should be willing to accept the gt as well. But if the Hebrew bible is true, then anything which contradicts it, like the gt, is obviously false.

If I should just accept books that contradict the Hebrew bible, why not accept the Koran, the book of Mormon, and Hindu writings as well? You still haven't addressed why I should accept the gt, while rejecting all other alleged holy books.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Second, He commands us to go to our own sages for questions of interpretation (Dt 17:8-13). In the time of Jesus, this would be Rabbis, levitic priests and the Sanhedrin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since for almost 2000 years 2/3 of those interpreters mentioned above have not existed, how can you be sure that the 1/3 left, the rabbis, can provide valid interpretations on their own? And since there are 3 main strains of Judaism now, not to mention smaller ones, whose interpretation can you be sure are correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the priests still exist. This is passed down from father to son. A genetic study found that Jewish priests (cohenim) from all over the world have a common male ancestor, who we believe is Aaron.

The Sanhedrin can only meet when certain conditions are met, including a majority of Jews living in Israel. The Sanhedrin will be reestablished in the messianic age.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 PM

We believe it is impossible to fake a national revelation from God.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul himself talks about going to see peter and the others that came before him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is trying to claim that his is a legitimate religion based on Judaism. However, there is no evidence that Peter or any of Jesus' alleged disciples existed.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the priests still exist. This is passed down from father to son. A genetic study found that Jewish priests (cohenim) from all over the world have a common male ancestor, who we believe is Aaron.

The Sanhedrin can only meet when certain conditions are met, including a majority of Jews living in Israel. The Sanhedrin will be reestablished in the messianic age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because the condition for being a levitic priest is met, doesn't mean that they are functioning as same which they're not, thus leaving just 1/3 of the original class of interpreters. And regarding the sanhedrin, another convenient interpretation that can only be fulfilled in a messianic age. But wait! The sanhedrin existed before 2000 years ago. So why not now?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:31 PM

Regarding Moses I am not making a point regarding Christianity so I won't address your off topic comments on those points. My point was that Moses rebuts your claim that all other major religions depend upon one man while Judaism does not. Now, your claim about the one man stuff is not necessary for Judaism to be true, just an erroneous assertion that is an arguement for it to be true.