Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: do you lay off with the ace high flush but not the nuts

[ QUOTE ]
What a bizarre justification of a poor play. Basically, yes, it's bad, but this hand doesn't happen often, so it's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always bad to pay off a better hand. Can you possibly know that your opponent has a straight flush, though? And if you're so sure that the opponent has a straight flush, why don't you just go ahead and fold on the river?

[ QUOTE ]
You are kidding yourself trying to justify a bad play. None but the wildest maniacs 3-bet 2 players. Have you ever 3-bet the Kh on a 4-flush board? Into 2 players? No. And neither has your opponent in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably haven't because I realize the chances that I'm up against a better hand are pretty high. Does the general micro-limit player realize this or factor this into his decision-making process? You sure seem to think so.

I'm sorry that people disagree with you, but I still side with Entity and the other folks who think that capping the river is fine.

I wonder how different your response would have been had he not posted the results with the hand. Of course it seems obvious after seeing the showdown, but do you really put your opponent on a straight flush in the heat of battle?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: do you lay off with the ace high flush but not the nuts

Personally, I have made a decision never to fear quads or straight flushes. (Occasionally, I will consider quads if there are 3 of a kind on the board and the action is insane, but I will only ease off on the raising, I will never fold.)

Here's the bottom line, straight flushes and quads just don't happen often enough to worry about. If I have the Ace flush and there is no pair on the board, I will cap on every street if I can. There will be straights, there will be lower flushes...for pete's sake, at low limits, there will be SETS that will raise and raise and raise. If I reach the point where I start playing 15/30, I will reconsider this policy, but for low limits, I think this is sound strategy.

MOST PEOPLE DO NOT PLAY LIKE 2+2ERS. I will lose out on a lot more money not capping than I will because I ran into somebody's straight flush.

And to answer the question about the king-high flush, I would say, if it's a 3 flush, go ahead and treat it like the nut flush. If there are 4 cards to a flush on the board, too many people are playing any ace to do so. Proceed with caution.

Note, all of the above is just my strategy. It doesn't have to be yours, but these are my thoughts.