Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Thanks again for your support

Thanks for taking the time to write about those two hands. Congratulations for a great tourney this year and good luck for making the best 3 year run next year!
Old 07-15-2005, 04:39 PM

Great freaking post. One of the things that makes you so likeable and easy to root for is what you give back to the game. You've been a great champion and ambassador for poker, being very accessible--either on these forums or in person. To hear you talk about the Mouth winning potentially being bad for the game is dead on. Just look at the difference between Mike's response to the beat that crippled you last night and your post. He's calling Aaron an idiot, while you diplomatically give Aaron credit that probably isn't due. You clearly didn't agree with the way Aaron played his hand (or his tournament for that matter), but you stated the facts in a much more diplomatic manner that was respectful of a player that probably hasn't earned that respect. Watch out...the way Mike talked in his cardplayer interview about your beat...I think he may have a man crush on you.

Dam, reading back over this I feel like I just signed your yearbook...I'm an idiot, but while I'm at it...Have a kick ass summer and stay cool. See you at the pool. Hope to have some classes with you next year.

TA
Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 PM

Fossilman! Fossilman! Fossilman!
Old 07-15-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dam, reading back over this I feel like I just signed your yearbook...I'm an idiot, but while I'm at it...Have a kick ass summer and stay cool. See you at the pool. Hope to have some classes with you next year.

TA

[/ QUOTE ]

R.H.O.T.S!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:15 PM

Interesting. I always figured you were more of a math guy, but it sounds like you make a lot of plays based on reads.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM

Congrats Greg on another amazing run. You truly exemplify all that is great about poker and have made all of 2+2 proud with your play and classy attitude.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I always figured you were more of a math guy, but it sounds like you make a lot of plays based on reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Math and reads are not mutually exlcusive. Reads just make your math more precise.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are math.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:30 PM

You played a good tournament, and i'm looking forward to see it.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The key hand.

We are 8-handed, and blinds are 20K and 40K with a 5K ante. I raised to 100K as the first person into the pot, which was my standard raise for that level. Aaron called behind me pretty quickly, and my read was that he did not have much of a hand. The flop was 357 with one heart. I bet 150K into the 300K pot. Aaron quickly called, and I was very sure he did not have a draw, nor did I think he had a big hand of any sort. My best guess was a medium Ace such as AQ-AT, or a medium overpair such as 77-99. I thought he was either taking off a card to hit his overcards, or waiting for another small card before he made a move with his medium pair.

... I found his quick interview with Rich on Cardplayer.com to be very interesting. He said he called the flop with the intention of making a play on the turn, which is the ONLY reasonable basis for making that flop call. However, he never said anything about doing this because he had a read on me. He said he thought that the board was scary and looked like a good board to bluff at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to guess if the series of hands before that gave him the idea that he could make a play on this board. Assuming these CP reports are anywhere close to the truth, that is..

<font color="blue">Hand 9 - Greg Raymer has the button in seat 1, he raises, and Kanter calls from the big blind. The flop comes Kh-Jd-2c, Raymer bets $100,000, and Kanter folds.

Hand 16 - Joe Connor has the button in seat 9, Kanter raises, and Raymer calls from the small blind. The flop comes with three unknown cards (not shown on the monitor), Raymer checks, Kanter bets, and Raymer folds. Kanter takes the pot.

Hand 17 - Greg Raymer has the button in seat 1, Black raises, Raymer raises, and Black calls. The flop comes Ks-5s-3c, Black checks, Raymer bets, Black raises about $800,000 more, and Raymer asks him how many chips he has left. (Black's chips are in very tall stacks, and difficult to eyeball.) Raymer's glasses are off as he studies the situation from the other side of the table. Raymer looks like he's trying to get a read more than anything else. Raymer eventually folds, and Black takes the pot.

Hand 19 - Raymer limps, and Ivey checks his option. The flop comes Kc-6c-5c, and both players check. The turn card is the Ad, and they check again. The river card is the 8s, Ivey bets out, and Raymer folds. Ivey takes the pot. </font>

Hand 20 was the one that you will remember for a little while.