Change nothing. You have finally realized how to be the ideal 2p2er 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: AA on the BB

you can also draw a 3th ace.

AA simply is the favority preflop hand.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:37 PM

The answer in regards to the "WSOP final table" is dependent upon stack sizes.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:39 PM

Before the flop I am not laying AA down. Especially with people all-in. I am calling and hoping variance doesn't stick it to me.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:16 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a good idea to accumulate ALOT of chips early.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't put yourself into a less than coin flip situation at that point.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you the best player in the world? Unless you are, there's no way your EV would be better by folding.

What percentage of pros managed to increase their chip stack to 90K in the WSOP? Far fewer than 30%, I'm sure. Also, factor in that being the big stack would create more +EV situations in the future, and this is an EASY call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying you don't have EV. Being that if you lose you're out, that's why you wait for a 70% or better favorite to win before going all in. The risk of being bumped out is significant.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

is your goal to stick around for a while and have fun or win money? By EV, I mean $ EV, not chip EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the first day of a tourney, I'm concerned with Chip EV.

b
Old 07-17-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the first day of a tourney, I'm concerned with Chip EV.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

calling maximizes chip EV. i am so surprised people are folding the first two. this is truly a situation where it's 'not even close'.

the wsop final table scenerio is far too ambiguous to answer correctly.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because AA is a big favorite over KK, but throw in QQ, JJ, 10J, 45, 22 in for the other 5 opponents and while you are still the favorite person to win, one of the other 6 players is going to win the majority of the time.

People dont like the thought that the majority of the time, they are going to bust like that.

My response?

Cash game: Call, you can rebuy if necessary and you have good odds, which is what matters.

First Day WSOP: Call, this is about accumulation and survival at this point. A win would give you an amazing start, a loss doesn't lose you anymore than you may lose anyways - after all, this might be your biggest chance!

Final table WSOP: I may have to lay it down in this situation, as that would nearly guarantee me a much higher payout. However, if you aren't concerned about the money as much as the bracelet - call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget most likely one of your aces is out and about with AK or AQ, making your set vs 22 33 or 66 is going to be alot more difficult.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:39 AM

Today you posted this.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised at how many people are calling.

At the cash game, there's no reason to put all my money in the pot with everyone. I would prefer to take my time and earn my money slowly but surely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday you posted this.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...127&Forum=

The combination of these two posts is really funny to me.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:31 AM

Why you would fold the first one is beyond me. I can understand why someone would fold the 2nd one because they just put of 10K to play and have a 70% of being out right now. #3 makes the most sense (of the three) to just fold b/c you are guaranteeing yourself more cash.

This question is really a matter of personal preference. Here is my guess. The number of times someone said fold (out of three) is highly correlated with tight-passiveness. We all know the theoretically correct play is to call (personally I would try for a raise for value) but some of us don't have the balls enough to do it. This isn't a knock either, I folded 2 out of 3.

I think this also has something to do with economic status. I can't really afford to put up 10K and then lose it on the first hand. Some people can. If I were there, I would be concerned with guaranteeing myself money, not trying to win.

But as the old saying goes, no guts, no glory.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This question is really a matter of personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is totally false... unless perhaps you are saying it depends on whether you prefer to make money playing poker or if you prefer to lose money playing poker
[ QUOTE ]
I think this also has something to do with economic status. I can't really afford to put up 10K and then lose it on the first hand. Some people can. If I were there, I would be concerned with guaranteeing myself money, not trying to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

this also doesn't make sense. 90% of the field doesn't cash. this happens every tournament. so if you can't afford to bust on the first hand then you can afford to bust on the 50th or the 100th or until you land in the cash. In fact the true cost of the tournament goes up the longer you stay in(time value). so if you are in a tournament you better be able to go broke right away or you are throwing away money.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a great idea to go all in that early in a tourney with a less than 70% chance of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting 9 to 1 from the pot here to make up for your reduced chance of winning. I realize you might want to bypass some EV in a tournament on occasion, but this is way to much to pass up.

If you each has 1000 chips, and you will win 30% (pretty conservative) of the time, you EV is 10000(.3) - 1000(.7)= 2300. It is hard to believe anyone's edge in this tournament is big enough that they can pass up a situation where the average result is to more than double his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The basic premise of pot odds is that you will see the same situation multiple times and by playing the odds you will come out ahead. This situation, AA in the BB, everybody all in with even chip stacks in the WSOP is highly unlikely to occur once let alone multiple times. This makes calculation of pot odds invalid for decision making in this situation. All you have are the odds of AA winning against 9 other hands. What you do with those odds depends on how much gamble you have in you.

starbits