Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Give me a line

if you 3bet the flop you'll be called down by hands like 22-88 and ace high more often.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM

After having spent 20 minutes trying to come up with a line that will make Hero appear weak so that the relatively aggro postflop Villain will be comfortable using his aggression, I can't come up with one. As such, I think call the flop, bet, bet (the river lead being interesting if an over comes but I have to guess that Hero can't feign weakness and CR the river). Hopefully Villain will catch something and raise. If he hits his 2 outer... oh well.

More interesting to me is to read the replies, here, and how many posters think hero needs to protect this hand. Maybe I'm off the wall, but I'm looking extract value, not protect.

Am I way off?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:16 PM

I think this is an interesting point that may veer into some rather psychological territory. I've seen players who will take the flop three-bet more seriously because they think it's less likely to represent a move. Sometimes a turn check-raise will anger people and make them do unexpected/erratic things. I'm not sure.

I'm very interested by this fact opinion, joker, because I think this is one of the keys to the hand. I'll admit this is an area where my lack of experience (particularly at the online limit in question) really shows.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Continuing...

Party 20/40. First hand, I post in the CO.

Folded to me and I raise AA. Button, unknown but stats are 30/8/2.2 over a reliable sample size calls, blinds fold, HU for 5.5 SBs.

Flop is J77, suits unimportant. I bet, button raises, I 3-bet, button calls.

Turn is a 5. I bet, button raises, and now what?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Continuing...

Call and bet-call river?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Folded to me and I raise AA. Button, unknown but stats are 30/8/2.2 over a reliable sample size calls, blinds fold, HU for 5.5 SBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 betting very well may push him off his J. So... call the raise and donk/call the river. 2 bets on the river seems right, if he chooses.

A thinking villain ought not bet the river UI since he has, at the very least, represented TPTK to you so Villain ought check behind. He will call 1, though.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Hey dude,

I tend not to [censored] around when I'm out of position. I 3-bet and lead. When I have position I'll often call the raise intending to raise the turn.

Rob
Old 07-14-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This dude is just too aggro to fold here. I call and check-call. I hate it when people use a free shodown play (which he might here w/AJ, etc), but I don't want to get popped on the river. I'm not looking to fold this hand though.

Rob
Old 07-14-2005, 04:07 PM

I'd probably just call and check/call the river. If he takes a free showdown with some smaller pocket pair J's up then that's life. I'd prefer not to give him the option of raising/reraising better hands though since he may not even pay off a turn 3-bet with some worse hands but I'm seeing a showdown myself every time here.

I think the flop 3-bet is fine as well. I usually don't screw around OOP. Although if the opponent was a little tighter (more capable of folding the flop or turn if you 3-bet) then calling is a decent option since the opponent likely has a 2-outer when you're ahead with the board paired.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:14 PM

Give him excessive action because he will never put you on pocket aces. I wouldn't worry about knocking him out with a check-raise either because he will probably call you down with a lot of hands.