Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Manual Drivers: Are they better drivers?

[ QUOTE ]

1) Do you drive a stick?
2) Do you think stick drivers are better drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Yes.
2) Yes, because I think stick drivers are a self-selecting group of people who generally care more about driving, and therefore pay more attention to the road.

-dB
Old 07-12-2005, 04:44 PM

Eh, I've replaced my brakes once in 100K+ miles driving like this, and it was something like $20 for the pads since I did it myself. I'm sure downshifting gives you more control, it's just never been an issue for me. To each his own, I guess.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I've never understood downshifting, it seems so much easier just to coast/brake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Downshift for power?

What about going up a hill or passing someone.. do you not downshift then?

-dB
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Not at all. I see countless terrible stick drivers on a daily basis. People slipping the clutch to 2000 RPM coming off of a stop light, people slipping the hell out of upshifts, improper downshifting technique, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make the person a bad driver, though.

I appreciate your comments on stick drivers, but all of those things about downshifting and imperfect clutch use don't make that person get into more accidents or endanger other drivers.

With respect to the original post, you've basically added a third category of drivers:

automatic < bad at driving manual < good at driving manual

... right?

-dB
Old 07-12-2005, 04:58 PM

re: double clutching

I was under the impression (I honestly don't know that much about cars, except how to drive them) that the newer cars with manual transmissions (actualy manuals, not the clutchless kind) made it so you didn't have to rev match.

I know how to do it, and do it for fun when going up a hill and through twisties, but I didn't think it was necessary with (I think this is the term) synchro-mersh or something like that.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:00 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i believe he meant downshifting when slowing down, coming to a stop, that sort of thing. that's what i was talking about too.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
last time i checked brakes were a lot cheaper than a clutch

[/ QUOTE ]

$8 each at Autozone. Just 2 bolts is all it takes to change em. It's not only cheaper doing it yourself, but the amount of time you save more than makes up for waiting in line at the local repairshop. Well, for me it does. I am a speed demon and our repair shops are horribly slow. I also like to inspect the bolts on the rotors and replace them if they look corroded. It prevents problems later on when dealing with locked bolts.

This car jack rules btw:

The picture doesn't do it justice. The thing is huge. I love sams club.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
downshifting allows you to smoothly decelerate. It's also fun and gives you more control over your car. your brakes will also last longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with "fancy" heel-toe techniques, you're still using the brakes to slow the car down. Downshifting in this manner, as I said, simply allows you to be in the correct gear for corner exit.

[ QUOTE ]
i basically never 'direct downshift' when i drive. i go up the gears. when i need to stop, i pop into neutral without using the clutch and brake into a stop. if i need to slow down, i pop into neutral without using the clutch and slow down, when appropriate i go into a lower gear to accellerate.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what if you need to suddenly get on throttle to avoid an accident? You're out of gear and have no way to quickly accelerate. With a properly executed heel-toe, you'll not only be in a gear, you'll be in the correct gear to accelerate away.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
So, what if you need to suddenly get on throttle to avoid an accident?

[/ QUOTE ]

what are the conditions for such an event?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, what if you need to suddenly get on throttle to avoid an accident?

[/ QUOTE ]

what are the conditions for such an event?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're slowing down for a stop light, and someone coming up behind you isn't paying attention and is about to rear-end you. I'm already in gear, so I jam on the throttle and avoid this accident. You have to pop it into gear, reef the clutch out (which slows you down more), and then accelerate.

Someone from a side street suddenly jumps out right as you're passing. You have no time to brake, but you can avoid the side collision if you get on throttle.