Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Me vs. ICM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

These ev calculations deal with one hand and don't factor in other considerations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea hoe OP got to 500 chips with 50/100 blind nor do I care. I thik this a situation whre, barring read on the blinds I am pushing darn near every two. If another player is not I question his skill/sanity.

FWIW, if you show down and win you just make an adjustment in your pushing standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just the dumbest statement. And I have no idea why you would say something like this. Are you such a MASTER that you are able to make this judgement?

If you wish to make an argument, then provide an argument, but this kind of "I'm better than you" type of statement is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i agree with you here Scuba Chuck.

For what it is worth, my answers are ppff. I think the last one is close. It all depends on the nature of the table. On some tournaments you get lots of chances to steal, on other people are already in there before you. And yes, your table image is going to get hurt by pushing this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't necessarily think that my way is THE RIGHT way, but it's my way. Furthermore, the more players there are at the table, the easier it is for me to let this one go. If there were fewer players, say 5, this is an auto push. Vinyard, you have it backwards, IMHO. Zaphod, I believe you have some merit in the fact that depending on how the table is playing, I might change my mind and gamble here.

Furthermore, I think the image discussion is irrelevant. Most players will mentally acknowledge that this has little bearing on future card play.

We all know that the average hand is ~T7. K5 is ahead of the average hand. Mathematically, then we're ahead of any two cards. My opinion is that there are better chances/coinflips to be taken in the future, and this is one I'm willing to let go.

My point to Vinyard is that he has implied that he has some authority to "question (another player's) skill/sanity." These types of statements are completely unnecessary.

Finally you're arguments are backwards. The more players around, the longer you can wait, especially since you've just "paid" your SB. The best hand you'll come across in the next 10 hands is AJ (statistically speaking). When you become chip starved you have to choose if blind stealing is the best alternative, or battling.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Me vs. ICM

A simple question: would you rather push AJo 5 or 6 handed UTG (the only time you can be assured an open pot) or push K5o here? If I had to choose, I would much prefer to push this K5o on the button.

And I don't presume to know when the blinds go up as OP didn't mention them but to suggest that you have ten hands to wait on AJ is, at best, disingenuous. I don't feel like looking it up but I suspect the best hand you will see in the next *5* hands isn't significantly better than K5 and you will be pushing through more opponents.

As for my authority to question anybody's play, I have no need to get into a pissing match. The play is clearly +EV against any two, you don't have a stack and by your own admission the image discussion is a non-starter. I would like to hear any of the people suggesting this is a fold to articulate *why* it is a fold. Nobody has come even close to justifying folding this hand.

And, it takes a real peach to impugn my character regarding my comment of skill/sanity and then assert that my clearly correct thinking is "backwards."