Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Call or Fold?
Fold 1 16.67%
Call 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Best Sitcom -- Quarterfinals

OK, I don't get here much during the weekend. So I didn't get to vote before. Voted now, and pretty much same as the popular results, except I voted for Prince over Seinfeld. I hated both shows, but I figured Seinfeld is so...appreciated...by its fans that it would be able to overcome my "spite" vote.

I just want to say that I am under 30 and can't believe that Arrested Development or Fresh Prince or even Family Guy (which I love) can be considered in the same league as The Honeymooners and The Dick Van Dyke Show.

The Honeymooners is the basis for every fat-schmoe-with-a-mint-wife show, forty of which are on TV as we speak. Dick Van Dyke was a TV show about a TV show, predating Larry Sanders and numerous other imitations. I found them both hilarious when I was 12, and I find them both hilarious now. I'm not saying I'm right and this is wrong, because I don't believe in right or wrong when it comes to comedy. What's funny to you may not be funny to me. But wow, no love for Ralph Kramden. They're still ripping of that show, there's a movie out now.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Honeymooners is the basis for every fat-schmoe-with-a-mint-wife show, forty of which are on TV as we speak. Dick Van Dyke was a TV show about a TV show, predating Larry Sanders and numerous other imitations. I found them both hilarious when I was 12, and I find them both hilarious now. I'm not saying I'm right and this is wrong, because I don't believe in right or wrong when it comes to comedy. What's funny to you may not be funny to me. But wow, no love for Ralph Kramden. They're still ripping of that show, there's a movie out now.

[/ QUOTE ]
not to mention:
Honeymooners was the basis for the Flintstones, which ruled, so Ralph, Alice et al should be in the poll automatically.

Also, the supporting cast on Dick Van Dyke was way stronger than any cast on the air now or in recent years.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the supporting cast on Dick Van Dyke was way stronger than any cast on the air now or in recent years.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm with you that a lot of old shows deserved more credit here, but Dick Van Dyke?...Just no.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM

I missed the first couple of rounds...How far did Alf get?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:01 PM

Rose Marie and Maury Amsterdam together were comedic gold. impeccible timing and very complimentary deliveries. Richard Deacon was possibly the greatest straight man in entertaiment history.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This whole, poorly-executed poll is a real stinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2005, 05:28 PM

you're one of those, i'm-so-cool-i-cant-stand-to-like-things-taht-everyone-else-likes kinda guy huh?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the weakest poll I've ever seen at 2+2. I can't blame poster for trying though.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a huge thread, and every sitcom mentioned got pulled into a nominations poll, where a voter could vote for ten. (This poll ran for one day, starting on a Friday night, which is the only real problem with the whole thing so far.) The top 16 vote-getters got seeded 1 to 16, and the winners are in this poll. I think all in all, I give The Stranger 4.5 stars out of 5 for this.

There have been hundreds of weaker polls. If you disagree with the results, you are probably older than 80% of the OOT regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, maybe that was a bit harsh of me. By the way, I'm in my 30's, which probably does make me older than 80% of the OOT regulars. But judging from the posts, I'd say quite a few people disagree with the results, regardless of age.

Fresh Prince is weak. Period. Another three of these qualifiers are very marginal.

Wake me when The Simpsons wins. Then I'll completely retract my earlier statement, and call this The Most Accurate Poll In 2+2 History.

-ptmusic

p.s. WTF happened to early Mash, Hogan's Heroes, Get Smart, I Love Lucy... oh yeah, I'm in my 30's.

-ptmusic
Old 06-28-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think Curb your Enthusiam is ones of the smartest sitcoms ever made, though it hasn't been on long enough.

I think it shows where all those great tieing storylines of Seinfield came from, Larry David.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Larry David is clearly the #1 sitcom writer / creator.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:00 PM

ALLL WTF I guess MWC is gonna die.
well for the last time-

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNDYS