Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Is this very abnormal for Party? My high pockets are losing!

You really are being more than a little results-oriented.

I've been playing at Paradise the past couple of days to do the granny bonus. On a lark, I actually looked at how I was doing with big pockets last night becuause I knew I was getting hammered with them. I was 1-3 (1 for 3) with AA, 3-5 with KK, 1-7 with QQ, 0-7 with JJ, and 3-6 with TT. Even worse, most of the hands I actually won were because I flopped or spiked a set somewhere in hand, meaning that just plain old pocket pairs just weren't holding up. I ran into a bunch of QQ vs. KK or JJ vs AA hands, all my pockets seemed to be ace magnets, people hit weird perfect-perfect straights against me, etc.

These kinds of things happen. After you've played for a while, you should have a grim sense of humor about this kind of stuff. Getting bent out of shape or second guessing whether you can win with QQ is pointless, counterproductive, and indicative that you need more experience.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:41 PM

If you tried to deduce from this that you were a -2.27BB player, everyone would tell you it was your sample size. 2000 hands would not be enough to determine whether you are a winning player or not.

Now you are looking at individual hands with sample sizes of ~10. These take MUCH longer to normalize...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but aren't these hands supposed to be like... some of the only sure winners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a pf hand that was a sure winner...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but aren't these hands supposed to be like... some of the only sure winners?

[/ QUOTE ]

This sort of thinking is how many players make these hands into losers. Players that believe these hands are invincible will cap a four-flush board with non-trump aces.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
aren't these hands supposed to be like... some of the only sure winners?

[/ QUOTE ]
How would high pockets look against my 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and my 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] if I hadn't folded them in the following hands? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)
Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed)
Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:34 PM

It's okay to play the Jacks, but you need to fold the Queens. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]