Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Is it this simple to prove the bible inaccurate?

The Bible does not say anything concrete in absolute years. It is a somewhat haphazard progression story that only relates years in a relative manner.

For an interesting exercise check out the geneology of Jesus as related in Matthew with the one in Luke (John and Mark do not relate a geneology). List them side by side as far as they go.

By the way, the Bible is not a History or Science Text. Though of couse, many will disagree with that statement.

-Zeno
Old 06-27-2005, 02:01 AM

Here is a link to the entry in the Catholic Encyclopedia on Biblical Chronology
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
implied (well sort of) from the geneologies within the narrative etc. see Archbishop Ushers calculation

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Malorum for the good Google term.

CMI, from this link: Usher's calculation

Having established the first day of creation as Sunday 23 October 4004 BC, by the arguments set forth in the passage below, Ussher calculated the dates of other biblical events, concluding, for example, that Adam and Eve were driven from Paradise on Monday 10 November 4004 BC, and that the ark touched down on Mt Ararat on 5 May 1491 BC 'on a Wednesday'.

So, I guess we're looking at 6k years since Adam created. I can't see a logical explanation how there is evidence of a settlement in Chile 6k years before Adam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not see a difference between you stating that the bible says "5k years" which it doesn't and what one person calculated?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link to the entry in the Catholic Encyclopedia on Biblical Chronology

[/ QUOTE ]

That link seems to put things at around 6,238 years.

As for your interpretation issue, I fail to see how there's another interpretation. This is all built on genealogies ffs.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:22 AM

You need to read more closely. From the link I provided:

It is, however, certain that we cannot confine the years of man's sojourn on earth to that usually set down

and

Such questions as the antiquity of civilization, which had reached a high pitch in Babylonia and Egypt 4000 years B. C., the radical differences of language at the same early period, differences of race (cf. the white, black, and yellow races), which do not seem to have been modified within the historic period, and the remains of human workmanship going back to a very remote antiquity — all these things seem to lead to the conclusion that the existence of man on earth goes back far beyond the traditional 4,000 years.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bible does not say anything concrete in absolute years. It is a somewhat haphazard progression story that only relates years in a relative manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does from Adam to Abraham. At which point, it's simply a case of counting the generations to get a reasonable estimate.

[ QUOTE ]
For an interesting exercise check out the geneology of Jesus as related in Matthew with the one in Luke (John and Mark do not relate a geneology). List them side by side as far as they go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I've done that. What is the explanation for the contradiction? Something of that magnitude can't be unexplained. Can it?

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the Bible is not a History or Science Text. Though of couse, many will disagree with that statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether it is or not, if you take what it says as true, you arrive at the conclusion that Adam lived ~6k years ago.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
implied (well sort of) from the geneologies within the narrative etc. see Archbishop Ushers calculation

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Malorum for the good Google term.

CMI, from this link: Usher's calculation

Having established the first day of creation as Sunday 23 October 4004 BC, by the arguments set forth in the passage below, Ussher calculated the dates of other biblical events, concluding, for example, that Adam and Eve were driven from Paradise on Monday 10 November 4004 BC, and that the ark touched down on Mt Ararat on 5 May 1491 BC 'on a Wednesday'.

So, I guess we're looking at 6k years since Adam created. I can't see a logical explanation how there is evidence of a settlement in Chile 6k years before Adam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not see a difference between you stating that the bible says "5k years" which it doesn't and what one person calculated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do. Although I said ~5k years, and it seems most people agree that the Bible says it's around 6k. It doesn't really change my point.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Such questions as the antiquity of civilization, which had reached a high pitch in Babylonia and Egypt 4000 years B. C., the radical differences of language at the same early period, differences of race (cf. the white, black, and yellow races), which do not seem to have been modified within the historic period, and the remains of human workmanship going back to a very remote antiquity — all these things seem to lead to the conclusion that the existence of man on earth goes back far beyond the traditional 4,000 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware then, that this appears to be contradictory to what the Bible points to.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are aware then, that this appears to be contradictory to what the Bible points to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to read the entry I provided more carefully and realize why the Bible doesnt point to any sort of specific point in time.

Also in regards to the point about the geneaologies of Christ presented in the Gospels, here is another entry for you to read when you get done with the other.

Geneaology of Christ
Old 06-27-2005, 04:10 AM

this can't be so tough guys. Is it possible that a creator could create a world 5000 years ago that is qualitatively identical to one that was billions of years old, of course it's possible. If your only objection is that "God wouldn't do that" then you need to realize that ballin' is just a hobby for God. Maybe he is whimsical and enjoys seeing people making asses of themselves. Either way, not having an insight into the psychology of God makes your counter argument rather silly.