Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Playing against females + others

Ok I am probably going to get slammed for these comments but here goes...

Women: For the most part don't bluff or bet unless they got a BIG hand. If they check bet your probably ahead.

African: They tend to be gamblers. They will call you down with A high. They play loose and usually aggressive. Not really bluffable.

Latin: similar to the above just not as much.

Oriental: very aggressive and they fall into 1 of 2 categories. either very loose or very conservative.

Crackers: Range from TAGs to LAGs. But usually more on the conservative side of plays not going crazy.

I read some of these sterotypes in books and thought it was nonsence. But after playing for 19 months live I do notice these behavior patterns in players. Mind you its not 100% but I would say its 65%-85% in most cases.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Playing against females

I think that statement is just flat out wrong. How many female poker players in the world exist? I will estimate on the low side and say 10,000. Don't you think a random sample of of say 200 would be a pretty good estimator? I think all psychometric principles indicate that to be true.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Playing against females + others

[ QUOTE ]
Women: For the most part don't bluff or bet unless they got a BIG hand. If they check bet your probably ahead.

African: They tend to be gamblers. They will call you down with A high. They play loose and usually aggressive. Not really bluffable.

Latin: similar to the above just not as much.

Oriental: very aggressive and they fall into 1 of 2 categories. either very loose or very conservative.

Crackers: Range from TAGs to LAGs. But usually more on the conservative side of plays not going crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad to see that someone else recognizes what happens mentally when you meet a player for the first time. You automatically stereotype them into some sort of playing style category. There is nothing "racist or sexist" about this, it just happens and all people do it.

We all know the bad news about stereotypes however is that they are often inaccurate. Yet, as an accuracy of interpersonal perception researcher, I can tell you that "stereotype accuracy" does exist. This means that there is a "kernal of truth" to the stereotypes we make and that at least some of these stereotypes are true.

What is the upshot? Use stereotypes to make your "best guesses" about how players will play until you prove yourself otherwise. Be on guard that you are using them though and know that they can be fatally incorrect. Recognizing that you use stereotypes will help you make adjustments from them once you learn information that indicates the stereotype isn't totally correct.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Playing against females

[ QUOTE ]
sooooo...

what you are sayign is you are a weak tight angle shooter?

[/ QUOTE ] quoted for truth