Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

I've always had respect for your posts. Its huge, and unique that you can not only realize the things you do, but be secure enough to post it on an open forum. Something tells me you'll be just fine.

I joined a gym...the one the hooter girls get a membership too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and I play some competitive golf. I find getting out of the house is really refreshing and helps w/ the grind. There are a lot of things out there for you to try. I'm actually thinking about going to school part time this fall for a change of pace, and to do something "for real productive."
Old 06-22-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive thought about this before, but ive never played golf before besides driving range (i can hit the thing like 150 yards with no accuracy) and minature golf. can you just join a local golf club, shoot a par 93 and not be the idiot whos standing on the green?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude if you can be a beginner and shoot 93 you really aren't that bad. Best part about golf is you can gamble!! I'd definetly reccomend taking it up.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I haven't read his other posts that you're referring to but I tend to agree with him here. you went pro as a low limit B&M player and were obviously not ready for it. seems like a tough, stressful existence

also moving away from friends, and missing out on the college life are probably two things that you'll regret down the road.

I feel bad for you in some respects in that you occasionally seem lost or misguided (like your tax post), but I'm glad that you seem to be finding your way because you seem to have good intentions. you're just a bit underdeveloped it seems.

but I don't know you, I don't know your past, and I don't know your life at home. I don't mean to judge here, and I mean everything I said in the most sincere, constructive manner.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive thought about this before, but ive never played golf before besides driving range (i can hit the thing like 150 yards with no accuracy) and minature golf. can you just join a local golf club, shoot a par 93 and not be the idiot whos standing on the green?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are already off to a decent start.

No need to join a club or anything, just get a set of clubs, hit your local muni course and pop your name on the list as a single...

They'll call your name and off you go.

Best part about muni courses, especially during weekdays, is that there are typically a fair amount of retired folks playing that are not typically your biggest hitters, so it will give you a little more comfort level to hack around (because they'll be hacking too)...

If you end up enjoying it, it sounds like you are doing well enough to afford a 100 bucks or 2 for an hour private lesson from the shop pro and you will be amazed at what that will do for your game (and subsequent enjoyment level)...

At most muni (city owned) courses, you can either get a discount fee or even a monthly card to cut down costs...

I love having a month card right now (mon-thurs, unlimited play). It gives you back routine in your life.

I get up at 6 these days, go play a round of golf and am back home by noon, eat and then decide if I feel like playing cards yet...or golfing more [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf is awesome.

I'm a very shy person. I started playing golf when I was 10 years old. I basically learned all of my social skills on the golf course. Going to a public course by yourself, you'll get paired up with a couple other people. You'll have to say hi and shake hands on the first tee. Then during the round you talk about golf or sports or what you do for a living or whatever. It's really the perfect way to meet people. I'm pretty sure I had/have some kind of serious social anxiety thing. Now, whenever I get into a social situation that might make me nervous, I just act like we're on the first tee. I doubt you have any of the social problems I did, I'm just saying it sounds like you could use some more friends.

It's also good exercise, and very challenging.

I'm living my dream life right now: golf all morning, poker all evening. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 AM

i actually take quite a bit of offense to this. despite it appearing to be a bad choice to go B&M pro at that point in my life it was definitely not. it was a good choice and if it didnt work out i had other options. it worked out well and im glad i did it. ive always been the type who will survive no matter what he did. even if i wasnt earning income playing poker at the time i would have certainly found a way to pay the bills while developing a financially sound future for myself. its true that in some ways i am underdeveloped, but likewise in some ways i am overdeveloped. i dont find that to be a problem, i just find it to be unusual as i am an unusual person.

edit: i also never encountered twoplustwo until right after i went pro. this is unfortunate, but turning pro indirectly lead me here and i may not have ever discovered these forums had i not. if i knew about these forums before turning pro i certainly would have waited, studied a while and then started playing on the internet. at the time though this was not an option and as a result i made a good decision with the options that i had.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:20 AM

this sounds pretty sweet. i hadnt thought about taking lessons but should do that. how much do memberships to golf courses usually cost? are they usually memberships where you can play unlimited for free or are there extra costs to use the course?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:28 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

when I say underdeveloped, I mean underdeveloped for someone who's been on his own financially for a full year, not someone who's 20 years old. and I didn't say going pro was a bad choice. I said it led to a tough, stressful existence at first, as you were not ready as a poker player. you have been fortunately to run good when you needed to. when you stpped up to 10/20 you managed to win, when you almost gave up online poker, you made a comeback. things did not have to work out as well as they did. you took a gamble and won.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 AM

TStone, you should come up to amherst at some point and chill wiht macdaddywarsaw and I. I can't imagine its more than an hour and a half or so from where you live.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this sounds pretty sweet. i hadnt thought about taking lessons but should do that. how much do memberships to golf courses usually cost? are they usually memberships where you can play unlimited for free or are there extra costs to use the course?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just find a public course near you. You won't need any kind of membership. You'll pay $15-$40ish a round for most public courses.