Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: A move I make more often than not. Leak, or standard play?

Yea, Im with you all the way. I get your drift, of course we must take chips wherevewr we can, I just read to much into your original post.

Just 2 thoughts, I often find small stacks more willing to call as they have reached a point of desperation, or are looking for that confrontation I mentioned earlier. Also as regards pushing and calling remember that pushing any 2> calling any 2. Pushing can allways win via a fold. You knew that allready anyway.

Allways remember when reading my posts that I cant play and I talk alot of sh.it.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:47 PM

You have a lot of fold equity when the blinds are bigger, I bet.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The BB in this hand (Saden) is a sometimes regular poster on this forum (Benholio) who was probably 8 tabling at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome. (He thought for a minute and then called with 77, btw.)

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, thats one of the few tournaments that I moneyed in lately! Thanks for the chips! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Knowing it is me in the BB, you should definately push. 77 was pretty close to the bottom of my calling range, unless I read you for a solid player.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing it is me in the BB, you should definately push. 77 was pretty close to the bottom of my calling range, unless I read you for a solid player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah.

I should tell you that I had targeted you as a prime stealing target early on, becase of how tight you had been.

I think you were on the fence with the call, because you took a bit of time before calling.

Out of curiosity- if you knew I was a strong player, would you tighten your calling requirements, or loosen them up?

IE- As a "good" player, would you expect me to be pushing any 2, or pushing say, 99+?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:36 PM

As a good player against a good player, you definitely expect people to push more, and therefore, you're calling more.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just so I understand what you are saying here... Do you mean that a push from the button is more likely to make the BB fold? IE- It looks less like a steal than a push from the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I'm saying. In fact, if I have utter junk, I might start becoming more likely to push with it from the button that from the SB for this very reason. The typical BB seems to have little problem folding to a button push. I think that this offsets the fact that you are going up against two hands from the button as opposed to one hand from the SB. I'm going to go with this approach for a while and perhaps report on my results after a couple hundred games. Basically, I'll be more willing to fold from the SB and more willing to push from the button. An added bonus of my SB folds will be my increased FE for my button pushes (if my opponents are paying attention). Maybe my idea is just stupid, but we'll see....
Old 06-18-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe my idea is just stupid, but we'll see....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it just worked beautifully for me in a $50, so let's just keep this "our little secret."

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity- if you knew I was a strong player, would you tighten your calling requirements, or loosen them up?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I tag you as a '2p2 type' player, I put you on a very loose range when you're in a stealing spot. When you are stealing from SB, I will call pretty liberally. Stealing from the BB I give you a little respect.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:16 AM

But we really should come up with a name for it...

Can't you just see, in a few weeks, every other post will say, "Is this the right time for the "Octaveshift Suited"? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Maybe "OSS" for short.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Stealing from the BB I give you a little respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you consider a push over a SB limp from the BB a steal?

Another move I make a lot. I think it is decidedly +EV. Except for few times I run into limped AA, and then I just use the ol' luckbox.