Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Bill introduced to repeal the 22nd amendment of the Constitution

[ QUOTE ]
I think Bill can run again if he really wanted to -

doesn't it just limit you to two consecutive terms? - he could have done two, taken 4 off, and come back....

but now he'll let his wife have the job.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he can't be ELECTED more than twice:

[ QUOTE ]
Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, this might mean that Bill could run for VP and then become President because he wouldn't have been elected president
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is wrong with wanting to amend the Constitution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. Its the frequency that this party wants to do it that I have a problem with. And with what matters they think deem mucking with the Constitution.

Off the top of my head, the only proposed Constitutional Amendments I recall in my lifetime (and all proposed by Republicans):
1) Flag Burning Amendment
2) Protection of Marriage (ie... don't let gays marry)
3) Repeal of the 22nd amendment

shoot... there was another one that's escaping me and I gotta fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of those is a fantastic idea. Too bad it'll never happen.

natedogg
Old 06-14-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough, Kurto, but as you know, those Amendments haven't gone anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough.

[ QUOTE ]
If people want to change the Constitution and they fail like the Republicans have lately, then so be it. I don't favor any of those amendments, and most Americans probably don't either, so they failed. The system works.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Just saying as a principle, I don't respect them for it. (I respect their right to attempt it.. just don't respect their choices. And find it a little contrary to their previous attitude towards the Constitution.)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't favor any of those amendments, and most Americans probably don't either, so they failed. The system works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it a little more worrisome now with a President in the office who doesn't care about polls and whose party controls all 3 branches of the government. Now that I think this would ever pass...

I am really curious as to why this was submitted. Clearly they can't think it has a chance of passing. It certainly couldn't be 'snuck through'... Certainly for people to push for an amendment change, their would have to be a significant calling for such a thing. I havent heard any rumblings of talk about this, unless this is related to making Schwarzenegger president....
Old 06-14-2005, 10:35 PM

Default You forgot the oft introduced amendment

Sometimes called the Christian Amendment.

Christian Amendment

This or versions of this have been put forward at various times in our history. The last major effort was in the 50's and ended up in being instrucmental in adding "under god" to the pledge and to our currency.

Version introduced in the house in 1997.

Anyone who thinks that there are not elements in the Republican party and the far right that keep working towards a theocratic nation are out to lunch.

The real Clear, Present and Growing Danger to America is right here at home.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: You forgot the oft introduced amendment

I am not endorsing that amendment, but it says, "The government shall not require any person to join in prayer or other religious activity, initiate or designate school prayers, discriminate against religion, or deny equal access to a benefit on account of religion."

If you think that is a bigger threat to American than Muslim terrorists, then we have different fears.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think that is a bigger threat to American than Muslim terrorists, then we have different fears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we agree!

I fear for the loss of true freedoms, liberty and the American way for us and future generations, you fear for the loss of individual life.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fear for the loss of true freedoms, liberty and the American way for us and future generations, you fear for the loss of individual life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we should always worry about losing freedom, but I cannot think of a whole lot of things that I cannot do now, that I could do in the past, before the currect theocracy took over.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:52 PM

There is no theocracy at the moment, just the threat of one. People like Reed, Dobson, etc would love to see some version of this amendment pass. We should be paranoid about them, their intentions and those they consort with.

Already in some schools they want to and do teach some Biblical fable as science.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If GWB ran a third time, I think I might actually have to vote for Hillary (shudders).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hillary wouldn't be running. Bill would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only after he had to beat her in the primaries.

natedogg
Old 06-15-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If GWB ran a third time, I think I might actually have to vote for Hillary (shudders).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hillary wouldn't be running. Bill would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would pay to see Bill Clinton debate g-dub.