Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Done reading HOH 2....anyone else ? lets discuss

I saw it on the shelf at Borders yesterday.

I leafed through some of the Inflection point and heads up chapters where it covers M, Q, red/yellow zones, and Ivey-Augostino heads up play.

I have to say i was extremely impressed

It doesn’t reveal anything any good tourney player isn’t intuitively aware of, but it lays it out it a methodical, logical way that rapidly increases how quickly newer players can pick up the concepts, and provides a structure so experienced players can get some guidance for “on-the-margin” decisions.

Good stuff.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:04 AM

M is not a new concept-- it's a new formal name for how many orbits remain in your stack.

The Subtitle of Vol2 might as well be: "Making Moves"

Volume 2 formalizes and names various common and not-so-common moves.

He names alot of common and uncommon moves, and misses the opportunity to attach a name to many not-so-common moves.

Examples are:

Page 33- Named move-- the Delayed Continuation Bet

Page 39- Unnamed move- see last paragraph page 39, "A betting sequence I particularly like..." he describes a specific variation of the Continuation Bet but he does not name it explicitly, as on page 33's "Delayed Continuation Bet"

Errata and all, this 3-volume set is probably going to be one of the best selling poker titles of all time.

I'd like to see a 2+2 errata page. The 2+2 forums ferret out all the errata in each book, so the only work is receiving, formatting and posting it in one place for readers.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

The 62o is just a regular old resteal vs two loose active players. Good players do this with AK and 77-99, experts do this with 62o.

The 'M' factor now has a name. Maybe the forum posters learned this from pros and passed it on to the forums, but never named it.

Its widely discussed that when you have less then 8-5BB you should be open pushing looking to double up. This is because your a bigger underdog to win or a big cash then 72o is to AA with less then 8BB.

Thanks,
MarkV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that a lot of the threads here on short stacks refer to your stack in terms of xBB. Harrington's M ratio is based on BB+SB+Antes, or what it costs you per orbit. Yeah, some of you are thinking "well, duh", but it was an eye-opener for me, as I'm a relatively new player (< 2 years experience)

I realize the concepts of how to use the ratio are the same (between what's discussed here and what Harrington talks about in his book).

Up to this point, I've kept a close eye on my stack in terms of xBB. Now that I include SB and antes, I realize that I approach the red zone a lot quicker than I think.

Before reading this book, I basically had two modes--Green Zone and Red Zone. Now I have two other zones in between to be aware of, as well as how to better calculate the ratio (M) that determines which zone I'm in.

What will be interesting to see is whether I go from green to red faster, given that my game will have to open up and become more aggressive as I move through yellow and orange (vs. previously where I was TAG until I reached red). The result, hopefully, will be that I cash more, but exit earlier when I don't cash. It will be interesting to contrast this to my tournament experiences up to this point where I either build a big stack early and eventually make the money, or bleed my chips away in what i thought was the green zone, when actually I was moving through the orange and yellow zones on my way to the red and dead zones.

I realize that more advanced players here may already know all of Harrington's concepts, but they've helped me.

Edit: I realize that stack size and M are not the only important concepts in tournament play. My comments are focused on this aspect only.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:15 PM

Default What\'s the next step after reading HoH?

I've only been playing NL for about a month and a half.
I've read Brunson, ToP, PL&NLHP, McEvoy/Clouter/Daugherty and TPFAP and the faq's on this site. (Just bought King Yao's book and How good is your limit Hold'em)

As a total beginner with less than ten tournements this book was a huge eye opener for me.

What's the next step to learning to win in tournements?

I was going to start trying to apply this stuff.
Where is the best place to start.
Probably going to try the $11 Pacific games or the Party games.

Or buy Barry's book?

Derick
Old 07-08-2005, 04:11 PM

Default can someone clear up an Orange and Yellow concept?

I'm a little confused on Orange and Yellow zone play with suited connectors and small/medium pairs. He says they are generally not worth playing because lack of implied odds??
What if you can limp in from later positions cheaply/free with many callers? I'll have to reread those sections but was he talking about earlier positions??? Help a confused boy who played Green and Red zones only up to this point!!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Regardless, of the poker names putting out books, Harrington has definitely set the bar VERY high for those coming out with new books in the future."

And Ed Miller's kinda short to boot. But he will be standing on my shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

And whose shoulders did you stand on David? How come no one mentions Oswald Jacoby, Albert H Morehead and Norman Zadeh. Or did you create poker theory just as Al Gore created the Internet?