FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: What to do when a bad player at the table asks you about his play

I'd probably say,

"I can't answer that. Then you'll know exactly how I play."
Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you guys such poor poker players that you don't think you can win consistently without trying to make terrible players worse than they already are?

or are you guys such poor members of the human race that lying to someone's face who innocently asks you for advice doesn't affect your sense of personal integrity in the least?

[/ QUOTE ]

My response to this would be to ask why I should be responsible for educating, or even acting kindly toward this player. I would also ask you what limits you play. If I was playing some $100 max buy-in game, I could understand, and perhaps agree with what you are saying here. However, as a student, the money that this poor fool has brought to the poker table will hopefully become my tuition payment. According to you, I should give him truthful advice because he has not taken the time to read the books or make an effort to improve his game? I am not a professional, nor do I aspire to be, but I hardly look at the poker games in which I play as a sporting, friendly, or brotherly. I guess, when it comes down to it, I will do whatever is necessary, within the rules and without shooting angles, to win.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:49 AM

I would respond with "how do you think I am getting these chips?"
Old 06-15-2005, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
or are you guys such poor members of the human race that lying to someone's face who innocently asks you for advice doesn't affect your sense of personal integrity in the least?

[/ QUOTE ]

That one.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That one.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
Old 06-15-2005, 08:03 PM

give him advice =D we were put on the earth to share knowledge, forget about money once in a while
Old 06-15-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you guys such poor poker players that you don't think you can win consistently without trying to make terrible players worse than they already are?

i mean it's possible that keeping super-secret knowledge such as "gutshot draws don't hit that often" hidden from someone might have a positive expected value in the long run, but you're probably going to have to lie to a whole bunch of people to see any significant results from this tactic and i don't really see it as a sure thing even with a large enough sample size, just because someone is an inexperienced poker player doesn't mean they are an idiot or has no ability to discern between a lie and the truth, i could easily see someone suspecting you weren't being wholly honest with them depending on what and how you answered, especially if your real-life social skills are at the level that your attitude towards lying to others
Old 06-15-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i mean it's possible that keeping super-secret knowledge such as "gutshot draws don't hit that often" hidden from someone might have a positive expected value in the long run, but you're probably going to have to lie to a whole bunch of people to see any significant results from this tactic and i don't really see it as a sure thing even with a large enough sample size, just because someone is an inexperienced poker player doesn't mean they are an idiot or has no ability to discern between a lie and the truth, i could easily see someone suspecting you weren't being wholly honest with them depending on what and how you answered, especially if your real-life social skills are at the level that your attitude towards lying to others and the fact that you are posting on an internet forum seems to indicate, having a donating player suspect, even in the slightest, that you are much more concerned with fleecing him for every penny you can than you are with even appearing to be a stand-up guy cannot be +ev i don't think

and what happens if you do end up a few hands later in the only situation that lying is gonna make you any money on, say you make a hand and get him to call large bets down to the river with a gutshot after you just told him that's what he should do? you don't think a reasonably intelligent person might actually ponder the situation for a moment or two if he just lost $200 to you by following the advice you gave him?

and like someone said, you giving a terrible player honest and helpful advice on poker is not going to instantly turn them into phil ivey, a very high percentage of the time a player this bad at a no limit table will be playing until they get busted or tired of reloading, the only thing you should be concerned with is increasing the chances that you are the player to bust them and that they stay at your table as long as possible. do any of you morally bankrupt posters really think lying to someone's face is going to make either of these things more likely?

i think one of the greatest things about poker is that you can PLAY as absolutely cutthroat as you can manage without doing anything the slightest bit wrong from a moral perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. I quoted it some some of these guys can read it again. It says a lot.

Nigel
Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM

I would be nice and tell him something useful.

"Well, I might not call (with a gutshot) because I don't like to gamble that much."

"I get worried when my flush is only five high."

Make yourself seem like a nervous nelly; most fish don't want to be seen as nervous, so they'll ignore your advice anyway. And you've warned them, so your conscience is clear.

I mean, don't make these statements unprompted, but if he asks, I think there's no harm in giving general timid advice.

BTW, I like shaking my head and saying "tough beat" in general after someone makes a terrible call and loses.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I like shaking my head and saying "tough beat" in general after someone makes a terrible call and loses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love doing that. And by the way, I am always nice, I just agree with them. I was just wondering if any of you did the same thing, and if you wver felt bad for lying to their faces.

I think the argument that those who do are bad people is assinine.