Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 1-2NL Starting to Become a Very Boring Game...

$12 is a pretty standard raise for 1/2 B&M. So, it's fine for aces. The real question is when was the last time you raised $12 with 9/10 suited? Or how about 6s in EP?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$12 is a pretty standard raise for 1/2 B&M. So, it's fine for aces. The real question is when was the last time you raised $12 with 9/10 suited? Or how about 6s in EP?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was hillarious last night...I raised 3-4 times last night in EP with garbage (8-2o, 6-9o, 3-5s), all 3 times I made the usual raise that I make: $12. The 8-2o and the 3-5s got no callers, once with last to act folding an ace face up... The 6-9o got 1 caller, and my $20 bet post flop on K, 10, 4 rainbow got him quickly out of the pot... Those 3 hands all occured within a 10 minute period... Lets face it, we all like to make money when we play...but you buy in for $100 on a tight table like this, its such a grind winning $3 in blinds at a time, and the occasional $12 caller... I'd rather be on that table where my AA, or any set on the flop, have a chance at getting action...and the whole point of my ORIGINAL post is that the games around here are very hard to find that will accomodate that... Sure enough the thread was hijacked by others talking about "play better blah blah blah"... If I was worried about the skill aspect of the 1-2nl game, I would have started a different subject.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:21 PM

agreed with chip777 and utmt.

the tunica 1/2 NL (specifically at Gold Strike) has been pretty wacky every time I've played it.
One guy who I see regularly gets drunk and comes off as a Gus Hansen wanna-be...always bluffing with his 93o, etc.

If nobody on his end of the table is involved in the hand he'll hold his cards up high enough so that one can see is out of control bluff.
he had ammassed a huge stack on bluffs like these and wasn't TOO terrible a player post-flop (he wouldn't call with the nut-low or anything). He was just hyper-hyper-aggressive and liked to push people around and wasn't playing scared like most of his opponents.

So while I say he wasn't TOO terrible...he WAS playing probably 80% or more of his hands.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:32 PM

And people's point was, stop complaining about the games because there are good games out there. That doesn't mean make silly tilt raises from EP like you were doing, it means find the other games. You really expect people to call an 1/8th of their stack on any raise, and think it's always going to be a loose game?

As people have said numerous times, get one or two action players in there and the game becomes much looser.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played in a 1/2NL game like you described at FW but it didn't stay that way long.

All it took to stir things up was a women raising with hands like J8s or 47x and showing the table, after see took the limps and the blinds. This got the game moving along.

Betting and raising generated some action. Most hands were generally 10-12 PF with multiple callers. It was a good game after the table began to realize that limping was going to be punished.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i do every time i go to foxwoods and play 1/2 - i raise almost everything and show down garbage before tighening up... i wonder if the woman you saw doing it was me? heh who knows...
Old 06-12-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was hillarious last night...I raised 3-4 times last night in EP with garbage (8-2o, 6-9o, 3-5s), all 3 times I made the usual raise that I make: $12. The 8-2o and the 3-5s got no callers, once with last to act folding an ace face up... The 6-9o got 1 caller, and my $20 bet post flop on K, 10, 4 rainbow got him quickly out of the pot... Those 3 hands all occured within a 10 minute period... Lets face it, we all like to make money when we play...but you buy in for $100 on a tight table like this, its such a grind winning $3 in blinds at a time, and the occasional $12 caller... I'd rather be on that table where my AA, or any set on the flop, have a chance at getting action...and the whole point of my ORIGINAL post is that the games around here are very hard to find that will accomodate that... Sure enough the thread was hijacked by others talking about "play better blah blah blah"... If I was worried about the skill aspect of the 1-2nl game, I would have started a different subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what else to tell you, bro. You seem to be the only person in the poker world playing in tight 1/2 games. I've seen tight 1/2 games before and they never last more than an hour. They always loosen up eventually. Try moving up if you need more action.

Personally, I love a table like you describe. Sounds like you can run all over it and rarely have to worry about being played back at or showing down a winner.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:27 AM

FWIW the few times I've played Foxwoods $1-2 NL, I haven't found these comically soft tables everyone talks about, though I have seen bad players throw away a few buyins. The tables I've been at have had at least 2-3 people who knew more or less what they were doing. That's a small sample, though (~40 hours of play).