Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: which party is for less laws?

In general, I'd say democrats want laws regulating what businesses can do, and republicans want laws regulating what people can do.

Thus, you find democrats pushing laws to protect the environment and republicans pushing laws determining how people can have sex.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, I'd say democrats want laws regulating what businesses can do, and republicans want laws regulating what people can do.

Thus, you find democrats pushing laws to protect the environment and republicans pushing laws determining how people can have sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is the name of the legislation that Republicans passed "determining how people can have sex?" I must have been out of the country that week.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 AM

Texas anti-sodomy laws come to mind of the top of my head. But there are a lot more.

You've got Tom Delay doing broadcasts in a mega-church. Seperation of church and state is dead as far as the current republican leadership is concerned.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is the name of the legislation that Republicans passed "determining how people can have sex?" I must have been out of the country that week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't Republicans against gay marriage?

Don't worry about being politically ignorant. It's hard for any sane person to listen to the bs.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't Republicans against gay marriage?

Don't worry about being politically ignorant. It's hard for any sane person to listen to the bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marriage is an institution that the state approves. It has nothing to do with telling people how they can have sex. Some of you people are really amusing. If being against gay marriage is "telling people how to have sex," then blame John Kerry and Hillary Clinton as well. They both oppose gay marriage.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Texas anti-sodomy laws come to mind of the top of my head. But there are a lot more.

You've got Tom Delay doing broadcasts in a mega-church. Seperation of church and state is dead as far as the current republican leadership is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did "Republicans" pass that anti-sodomy laws? Correct me if I am wrong, but those laws have been on the books for a long time.

As far as politicians giving speeches in churches, well, then if that outrages you, I am sure you are mortified when Democratic politicans give political speeches from the pulpit in black churches the Sunday before elections?

And I know you are outraged when Howard Dean said, "We need to talk about Christian values and how they're Democratic values." Imagine the lack of understanding of separation of church and state.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:10 PM

They are keeping them on the books. They are supporting them. They won't give aid to Africa because if the programs involve using condoms. There are a million conservative think tanks argueing a million rediculous things right now. Take you pick. Very little research would lead you to this conclusion.

I used to think the Repubs were teh party of small government too. The last four years have proved that hypothesis utterly and completely wrong.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are keeping them on the books. They are supporting them. They won't give aid to Africa because if the programs involve using condoms. There are a million conservative think tanks argueing a million rediculous things right now. Take you pick. Very little research would lead you to this conclusion.

I used to think the Repubs were teh party of small government too. The last four years have proved that hypothesis utterly and completely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that the Republicans don't believe in small government. Take a look at the budget since George Bush took office. Take a look at the Department of Education budget. Spend spend spend spend spend. How many bills has Bush vetoed? 0

However, I am unaware of one person who could not have sex because the Republicans wouldn't let him. I guess you could point to laws against Prostitution (which I think should be repealed), but can you name me some major Democrats who are pro-prositution?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:20 PM

The Democrats posistions are unimportant. Two flawed parties doesn't make a good party.

The rhetoric I here from a lot of prominient conservatives shows a downright disdain for certain civil rights and the seperation of church and state.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Do you have a mortgage? Do you think that people who have a mortgage, make every payment, but occasionally spend their money into something recreational are drunken sailors?

I have a mortgage. I pay it off every month. I have a good interest rate. I could pay more every month if I wanted to. I do not have credit card debt.

Lesson- some debt good, some debt bad. LEARN TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE instead of repeating the sound bites you hear on tv.

Which Dems paid down the debt btw? Bill Clinton I'm presuming you are thinking of? Didn't know he had a seat in Congress.