Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Playing online for a living, Year 2 - Penthouse to outhouse

[ QUOTE ]

I also can't believe it's been two years since you started this. Seems like only yesterday I was reading week 15 or so of your journal as a virtual newbie on these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same boat. I originally found these forums thanks to a link to one of David's early weekly posts, so I owe him a debt of gratitude just for that!

David, I am glad things got straightened out for you. I always find your updates entertaining and thought-provoking. I think the whole body of work could make an interesting feature in a magazine; with some more material maybe even a book (especially if you can win a big tournament to give the climax some extra star power).

Thanks for the update, and continued good luck and good health.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:33 PM

I max out at 4 tables, both shorthanded and full, but one thing Tommy got me doing was being more selective with my tables, I'll play 2 or 3 until I find a good one, and when a table breaks I'm not rushing to replace it the way I used to.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:12 PM

Hey David, Pete here from Vancouver. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write out your experiences, I know I'm not the only one who eagerly reads a davidross post.

I'm glad to hear you are heading back to the penthouse. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 10:07 PM

Thanks so much for sharing both the good and the bad. It sounds like you've stopped blaming external causes and accepted the responsibility for your losing play. Keep this post handy, and if you have another downswing, look for the warning signs of bad play. They are all in there.

As to the responses you got when you posted about your losing streak before, both the old (supportive) posters, AND the new (chops-busting) posters were essentially correct. You are a good player, and you were playing badly.

Glad to hear you are back on track. Remain vigilent.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:13 PM

Nice to see you back on track. I enjoy your posts immensely. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM

I know David was talking about a book after year 1. Haven't heard much about that since.

I seriously think that David could just take the first 52 weeks of posts as well as his last 2 half-year updates and then throw in some more stuff in-between and have something that is very close to publishable.

"The Life of an Online Poker Pro"

This is hot-stuff and a big fad right now. Heck, even Jon Stewart's Daily-Show did a poker-feature that partly peeked into the life of an online-poker professional.
Take advantage of it while it's the 'in' thing in society.

I remember reading Blackjack Diaries which basically was just a guy who counted-cards for an entire summer (I think...maybe just 40 days) and rambled on about his wins and losses, etc. It wasn't the most exciting book in the world but I enjoyed it kinda/sorta.

David's journal posts have been FAR more interesting than that guy's book. His feelings after winning and losing, his family, the early days when he wasn't sure whether he would do this for very long in the first place, etc etc.

I very strongly encourage David to put this in book form and get it out there.

Interestingly, even though I know where to find all of it on the internet...I would probably purchase it if it was in book form.

Not sure if David and Mason would be interested. But there are other places to go to get a book published.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:39 PM

Excellent!

Thank you for taking the time to share. I'm enjoy reading about your updates immensely. Keep up the great work.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:50 PM

Hey,

I just like to echo: thanks for sharing. Your post offers truly unique insight.

If you're going to Vegas, I'll be down there June 26ht-July 1st with my wife. It'd be nice to meet a fellow Canuck like yourself down there [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Best of luck in Year 3.

Adam
Old 05-31-2005, 11:50 PM

Great post David. You are one corageous guy. That downswing would have killed most people in your situation.
Very insparational!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 AM

Great post David.

Really helps to put things into perspective for me to hear others ups and downs and what they have done to deal with them.

Thanks!