Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: GSIH Question: Not short anymore

I think the NL forum would belittle me if I posted this there. So I don't know where else to post hands using this strategy. What do you guys think of this hand? Do you push this flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (8 handed) converter

SB ($638.35)
BB ($152)
UTG ($502.70)
Hero ($95.40)
MP1 ($840.60)
MP2 ($394)
CO ($150)
Button ($310)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $4.
UTG calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls $20.

Flop: ($58) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...
Old 06-01-2005, 09:00 AM

You're assuming that everyone at the table is a good thinking player. If that condition is met you shouldn't play at the table using any strategy unless you happen to be named Barry Greenstein. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As long as there are deep-stacked idiots at the table the shark have little recourse but to occasionally get involved with you. While they take the worst of it for the 20bb you cover they might have a nice overlay on the remaining 80+bb.

From what I've noted during my trial runs it tilts alot of people.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Is there a summary of this strategy for free anywhere. I would love to know more, but find it hard to justify buying the book for one small section....

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy the book, it isn't expensive.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:16 AM

LOL, ok, now you just made me look like a tight-ass, I had better really....
Old 06-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Why would you hesitate to go all in here? This seems to me to be a very good flop for you. The two aces mean there's less chance your opponent holds an ace, and even if he/she does have a weak ace, they may fold to an all-in raise thinking they're outkicked.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is, in the (not so?) distant future you will get the joy of a 400 big blind downswing. All part of the joyous ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

last 3 days

NL $100
3,500 hands
-338 BB

I play short-stack NL gOOt!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If playing against generally thinking, observant opponents, who are aware of this strategy and will pick up on it, then surely you will get blinded away in the long run - even after making some refinements to blind defense. E.g. everyone will fold unless they hold a premium hand (AA/KK). You will end up paying the blinds more than you win them, and when called you will be getting the worst of it.

Although it seems to be working at NL $600/$1000 for now, surely if it becomes a reasonably popular strategy, then the defense against it will also become obvious &amp; widespread.

A couple of other Questions:

1. Is there a summary of this strategy for free anywhere. I would love to know more, but find it hard to justify buying the book for one small section....

2. Anyway to adapt this for 6-max? I Imagine the blinding-away problem is exacerbated, but it may be possible to loosen the hand requirements (esp. against bad players).

[/ QUOTE ]

What limits do you play at? The book is a mere $17.95, surely one winning session will cover the cost. Even if you don't plan on using this system exclusively it is good to have in your toolbelt.

Also, some of your stated concerns are covered in the chapter.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you hesitate to go all in here? This seems to me to be a very good flop for you. The two aces mean there's less chance your opponent holds an ace, and even if he/she does have a weak ace, they may fold to an all-in raise thinking they're outkicked.

[/ QUOTE ]
If that's the case, is there any flop that you wouldn't push? Or would you just push every flop?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy the book, it isn't expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If that's the case, is there any flop that you wouldn't push? Or would you just push every flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, on that particular flop it might be better not to push. The pot's big enough that your money is probably going in, and if he has an ace, you're going to lose. But you'd like to induce a bluff if at all possible.

This is one (of many) ways that the "system" isn't optimal.