FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: F for First Amendment

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Except for some of the fallout from the J Jackson boob incident as far as some media is concerned. TV and Radio, that is. It's not quite as free as it once was. It's turning into a joke to some degree.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry. Are you actually trying to make the assertion that TV and Radio are LESS free than they were 20 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

less free than they were 2 or 3 years ago.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps if they had been more responsible with the airwaves that belong to you and I, then they wouldn't have had to have been reigned in somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean as opposed to the moronic people who can't seem to find the dial to turn on a tv or radio much less an off switch? Let's put the responsibility where it belongs.

Perhaps if they held everyone in the media to the same guidelines I wouldn't mind it as much. Unfortunately, they don't.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that people are oversensative. I believe that political correctness has gone way to far. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that a womans breats should be on display during the most watched program there is. That doesn't mean that we should have curse words coming over the airwaves. If you want to produce "scandlous" programming, fine, however, there is a place for that, its called cable. There is also a time for that, that is NOT primetime.

I think that even NOW we have VERY free airwaves. Hell, CBS is allowed to run lies about our President in an effort to hurt his reelection chances. That's pretty damn free if you ask me.

I just think that the TV execs AND the parents of children need to take responsibility for their actions. TV execs do NOT need to put out vulgar or obscene programming in SPECIFIC time slots, those watched most by children. At the same time, the parents of children need to do their JOB and control what their children are exposed to, should that be their desire.

Honestly, I don't know what you mean about other forms of media. In my mind, the government can control (to SOME minor extent) what goes over the airwaves, because they have the power to do so. The airwaves belong to the people of this country, the government leases them out "for us". As far as print, cable, and internet media, I don't think the government has ANY reasonable control at all over what is produced. The only way they should control it is through laws restricting access to "indecent" content based on age.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Pericles\' time

Your whole position is, I'm sorry to say, wrong. In fact, every statement, every sentence you posted up proposes the opposite of what democracy is all about.

I will provide you with the correct objective, the ultimate in democracy, the example from the Athenian era of circa 4th century BC. The idea at the time was that politics was everybody's job; professional politicians was an oxymoron; citizens were supposed to be elected to do the people's bidding and also (extremely important) to be immediately stripped of power if they were found to go against the people's wishes.

Take it from there.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Pericles\' time

Too bad America isnt a democracy.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:15 PM

Default How many times

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not bring up the old, inane argument about the "distinction" between republic and democracy! It's old, inane - and false.

And, for the record, both words mean precisely the same thing. One is a Greek word and the other Latin, that's all the difference between them.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that a womans breats should be on display during the most watched program there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't mean there should be a huge backlash in the industry because of it either. It's only a breast, big whoop. Major knee jerk overreaction. I missed all the kids running in the streets with blood pouring out of their eyes because of it. Most people missed it until the rewound a tape.

Funny, there's breasts and language on british tv and there's not a big moral overthrow by the children who were exposed to it. There isn't rampant crime or debauchery any more than there is here. This country is so sexually oppressed it's a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
That doesn't mean that we should have curse words coming over the airwaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

What curse words have been coming over the airwaves with regularity? Curse words are a part of life. Words also only have the power you give them. Personally, I see no difference in the meaning if one uses crap or sh*t. Note: I said 'meaning'.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to produce "scandlous" programming, fine, however, there is a place for that, its called cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cable is restricted also. They can't put racy stuff on during primetime or daytime either.

[ QUOTE ]
There is also a time for that, that is NOT primetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also a knob/button for that, it's an off switch or a channel changer. Yknow, there are adults that like to watch/listen to some adult stuff on primetime/daytime. Whether it be adult situations/language, whatever. Unfortunately, it's only ok if it's disneyfied and sterile.

[ QUOTE ]
I just think that the TV execs AND the parents of children need to take responsibility for their actions. At the same time, the parents of children need to do their JOB and control what their children are exposed to, should that be their desire

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be their(the parents) desire. If it isn't, imo, they have no business raising kids if they're expecting others to do this for them. It's part of parenting.

I'll put it on the parents. They've been let off the hook way too much.

[ QUOTE ]
TV execs do NOT need to put out vulgar or obscene programming in SPECIFIC time slots, those watched most by children

[/ QUOTE ]

There's plenty of adults watching during those times also.

That's what different channels are for isn't it? Why does every channel of the 60+ non premium cable package have to be kid proof?

I don't think time slot, per se, should dictate programming. I think demographic targeting should do that. Why did they come out with the 'V' chip again? Not to mention, when I was a kid, most 'children' were in bed during 'primtime'(8p and later).

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I don't know what you mean about other forms of media.

[/ QUOTE ]

Primarily radio and tv.

b
Old 06-01-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: How many times

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not bring up the old, inane argument about the "distinction" between republic and democracy! It's old, inane - and false.

And, for the record, both words mean precisely the same thing. One is a Greek word and the other Latin, that's all the difference between them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am textually accurate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't mean there should be a huge backlash in the industry because of it either. It's only a breast, big whoop. Major knee jerk overreaction. I missed all the kids running in the streets with blood pouring out of their eyes because of it. Most people missed it until the rewound a tape.

Funny, there's breasts and language on british tv and there's not a big moral overthrow by the children who were exposed to it. There isn't rampant crime or debauchery any more than there is here. This country is so sexually oppressed it's a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of this. I still don't think there has been that much of a backlash. Sure, some people are being more selective about what they air, but thats about it. I agree with the sexual repression stuff. However, just because they do it in England DOES NOT make it right to do it here. We have laws on the books, change should come from there if change needs to be made.

[ QUOTE ]

What curse words have been coming over the airwaves with regularity? Curse words are a part of life. Words also only have the power you give them. Personally, I see no difference in the meaning if one uses crap or sh*t. Note: I said 'meaning'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I agree to some extent. However, I don't think its appropriate for "bitch", "ass", and stuff like that to be aired during primetime. I cuss all the [censored] time, but not around kids.

[ QUOTE ]

Cable is restricted also. They can't put racy stuff on during primetime or daytime either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cable is a very broad term here. The "base" cable channels do have to adhere to these rules. Some premium channels do as well. However, other premium channels (Playboy et al) are free to program as they wish. That is more of what I was referring to. However, I think its RESPONSIBLE for people like Comedy Central to air the "uncut" versions of movies only LATE at night.

[ QUOTE ]

There's also a knob/button for that, it's an off switch or a channel changer. Yknow, there are adults that like to watch/listen to some adult stuff on primetime/daytime. Whether it be adult situations/language, whatever. Unfortunately, it's only ok if it's disneyfied and sterile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I understand where you are coming from. I think the premium channels are the place for that though.

[ QUOTE ]

That should be their(the parents) desire. If it isn't, imo, they have no business raising kids if they're expecting others to do this for them. It's part of parenting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll put it on the parents. They've been let off the hook way too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%.

[ QUOTE ]

There's plenty of adults watching during those times also.

That's what different channels are for isn't it? Why does every channel of the 60+ non premium cable package have to be kid proof?

I don't think time slot, per se, should dictate programming. I think demographic targeting should do that. Why did they come out with the 'V' chip again? Not to mention, when I was a kid, most 'children' were in bed during 'primtime'(8p and later).

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I know what you are trying to say, that its the parents responsibility. However, I assure you that many of the execs are parents too. It is their responsibility as parents not to provide their and other children with questionable content during prime time. That's just how I feel about it.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet, you are wrong, well, actually, you got the roots right, but thats all you got right.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=democracy

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=republic

If you wouldn't have said "that's all the difference between them" I might have given you a pass. Under some definitions of Democracy, Republic is an appropriate synonym. However, under other definitions of these words they are DISTINCTLY different forms of government.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Read what Rep. Ron Paul has to say, about the democracy/republic debate:

The Electoral College vs. Mob Rules

Majority rule is not necessarily a good thing. A simple democracy would imperil an individual's liberties. Think about this. Why did the framers create a lmited republic rather than a direct democracy? Because their was the strong possibility that a majority of the people would vote to reunite with England. Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, etc. would have probably ended up swinging for that little thing known as the revolution. So instead the United States was created as a beautiful constitutionally limited republic - although statism, has done it's share of damage.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
just because they do it in England DOES NOT make it right to do it here. We have laws on the books, change should come from there if change needs to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was using both US and England as an example, there's no reason to make any changes. England is an example that having nudity and swearing on tv isn't necesarily harmful to kids.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I don't think its appropriate for "bitch", "ass", and stuff like that to be aired during primetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're pretty common in usage nowadays. Thinking that 'ass' is risque is really pushing the envelope.

We agree on alot.

However, I don't think the primetime hours should be relegated to kidproofing on every non premium channel. There are channels for kids to watch. Btw...execs aren't providing risque programming for kids to watch. It's not their fault the parents are letting their kids watch it. They're providing it to an audience that is in the target demographic. Again, I blame the parents.

b