Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: A nice twist

[ QUOTE ]
Easy preflop fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, he raised on the button, not UTG. Any competant players' range of hands there is HUGE.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:43 PM

I thought about this some more and there are exactly a few hands you are behind to here and have outs and a lot more you are drawing dead to. If he does have a big A suited up with spades, he is ahead and you don't have many outs. If he has two pair or a set, you are drawing dead. It is actually more likely just mathematically for you to be drawing dead to two pair or a set because there are only a few ways he has a suited big ace you have outs against and many more ways for him to have two pair or a set. So, now that I had some time to think about it, it is a fold even getting 16-1 or 18-1 because you are drawing dead way more times than you have outs and the pot isn't laying you enough. You are drawing to 4 outs probably and getting 18-1 or so, but those 4 outs are dead more than half of the time to two pair or a set so you have to fold.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:01 PM

As for preflop it's an easy call. The only thing you have to know is that you easily have the best hand more than 40% of the time (to account for bad position) and this is definately the case in this situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that I have no implied odds, but the fact that I lose an extra bet when I hit and it's not good really slashes my effective odds, especially considering the likelihood that spades are out against me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes it a turn fold IMO. It looks like we (when I say 'we' I'm unjustly trying to put myself in the same category as Clark. It's wrong but it feels good. Besides it sounds cozy) are drawing dead a lot of the time considering that button is raising the field.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:05 PM

I cannot believe people are saying "easy fold preflop". This seems like a really easy call.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon, he raised on the button, not UTG. Any competant players' range of hands there is HUGE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree if he was trying to isolate one limper. After three players have limped in, I tend to give more respect to a solid player's raise. Yes, sometimes he'll be raising with a hand like QJs, but most of the time he's got you crushed. KQo in the SB isn't something to jump in here with. I would rather play 98s.

You are in the worst position post-flop, acting before the donkeys, with the solid player acting last. This one should be mucked.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easy preflop fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I'd never fold given the descriptions Clark gave. That said, I think bet-fold is an appropriate line for the turn. The ace is a bad card, but there's no guarantee the button has an ace. He could have other hands like TT-QQ that hate the ace and will fold. The pot is huge, and it's unlikely he'll make a play with JT suited or QT suited. It's possible he'd make a play with KTs or KJs, but probably unlikely. The more I think about it, it's close between calling and folding the turn when raised - if he is the type who is bright enough to raise KTs or KJs it probably swings it to a call, but even then millions of cards can come on the river to crush you. Even given the % chance you are best, you might not have enough equity to call.
-James
Old 05-29-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have folded pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:32 PM

It is a really easy call.

PokerPrince
Old 05-29-2005, 07:35 PM

If the button is capable of going clark-raving-mad and trying to fold a better K with KJ, then I guess you could call...but then you have to fold any spade, J, T river, and probably others...yeah, fold.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:49 PM

Preflop, I agree that folding against a loose raiser is wrong. After all, you do have two of the top three. But ace on the turn is a really bad card for you.