FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results:
Superman 97 55.11%
Darth Vader 79 44.89%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Poll: What is hooking up?

[ QUOTE ]
From time to time, posts here mention "hooking up" with girls. When you read/write that phrase, what do you mean? Which of the following things occurring qualifies as "hooking up" to you? Pick the one that is the least amount of contact that qualifies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to select the proper verb to describe your level of interaction with Ms. Nemcova?

Edit: Goddammit - didn't read the whole thread. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on the consensus of your group of friends (though I suppose that is what Diablo is trying to garner by posting this in OOT....)

[/ QUOTE ]

When speaking with friends, it can sometimes mean making out and sometimes mean sex, but it's usually very clear from the context and the people involved.

Here, however, where I don't know the people involved, I read "I hooked up w/ this chick" in a number of posts and feel like it often means very different things. In terms of understanding a story and situation, it definitely makes a difference whether someone made out with a chick or had sex with her. Sometimes which of those two things happened is very unclear after reading some posts.

I was wondering if there was some sort of concensus among posters here, but apparently not really.

As an example, I read this post by ChoicestHops and just assumed that he had sex with this girl. Now I read Hooking up is making out. It does not include oral or intercourse. from him and it makes his initial post a totally different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how old you are, I think. If you didn't bang her you didn't hook up in my book. If I were 12 I think that making out might count.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a lot of women in the 23-27 range who are less likely to have casual intercourse than they were in college.

In the low-trust context of many bar scenes, going home with someone and trying to get each other off ought to constitute "hooking up," at least in the context of a guy letting his friend know pertinent information a girl.

scrub
Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 PM

I thought you were doing tsunami relief in Thailand.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:32 PM

something something pooper
Old 05-23-2005, 04:57 PM

It mainly depends the context of how it was used. It can be assumed the following.

Case1
*In talking with your little whore friend*
Whore: "OMG I was so wasted and I hooked up with 3 guys at the bar!"
You: "Did you get any of their numbers?"
Whore: "LOL I didnt even ask!"
This is the example of what is leading the poll, any deep kissing or excessive groping (even in public).

Case2
*Talking to your roommate or friend*
Friend: "Yo dude, I hung out with Melissa last night she came over and cooked me dinner and then we watched a movie"
You: "Nice man, did you hook up with her?"
Friend: "Yea we barely watched the movie she gave me some killer head and left at 3AM but she didnt let me stick it in her pooper."

Context of "hooking up" depends on the actions before or after the phrase is used.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 PM

nevermind. bad joke.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:18 PM

When my friends and I discuss a "hook-up" that has occurred.... It is assumed that making out took place. That is always the starting point before asking about how much clothing was removed and who did what with whose genitals. Weak kissing is definitely not enough.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Making out is making out, groping is groping, hooking up is [censored].
Old 05-23-2005, 06:06 PM

in my experience it is usually when a guy didn't have sex with the girl, but doesn't want to tell his friends that.

"hey how did it go with that girl last night"
"we got back to her place and hooked up."
"so what's that mean, sex, head, nothing?"
"we hooked up. end of story."

but yes, the results of your poll are correct.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:09 PM

good post, diablo. personally, 'hooking' up with a girl for me at minimum is making out. if it's just some like random make out with a girl who isnt that hot, then i wont really tell anyone or consider it a hook up. this past weekend, i made out with a girl who i really like, at my friend's party. it was very short, as we were interrupted, and right after she had to leave. i consider that a hook up. basically anything involving the tounge, and anything that had any meaning to it whatsoever. usually when i have sex with a girl i dont just say ' i hooked up with her ' ill just say i f****d her.