Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Is NL a flawed form of poker?

[ QUOTE ]
I played online for about a month playing like .10/.20 nlhe and never turned a profit. One day I put in $50 and tried .50/1 nlhe and over a weekend won $500 using this exact same strategy. I bought in for the minimum and played like a rock. I actually made it up to $2500 in two weeks using this. And I think that what we all can take from it me included is the value of tight selective play. Especially online this seems to be true. For me at least I seem to underestimate the strength of some opponents simply because I cannot see them or get a feel for their personalities. But, when I first started I gave my opponents all the credit in the world and just played premium hands and it worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

you made $2450 in two weeks on .5-1 NLHE...

using this short stack strategy....

ok. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Please Clarify this shortstack method

With this strat are u buying in for $5 on a 25NL and just pushing preflop with hands like: AA-TT, AK-AQ ?

If your UTG who the heck is going to call this?
You'll also be blinded down a fair bit before one of these hands even shows up.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to chime in late, but I find this comment interesting. Because the same could be said in defense of Lee Jones's "Winning Low Limit Holdem" as it relates to Limit.

However in the build up to SSH, Jones was routinely excoriated by Miller for advising sub-optimal play (which he does).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't "excoriate" WLLH for being sub-optimal. I did it for being wrong (in spots). There's a difference. I'm not going to go over this again, but I'll give you a quick example (not at all drawn from WLLH or GSIH) to show you what I mean:

Here's some advice for beginners.

1. In limit hold 'em, always raise KK before the flop, no matter the action.

2. In limit hold 'em, never raise KK before the flop.

Number 1 is fine advice for beginners, though it is sub-optimal. Number 2 is wrong.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:47 PM

Say wha...
Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 AM

Sorry that I wasn't more detailed in that winning streak. I moved up after the first weekend and wound up making most of it in 1/2 and 3/6 games to eventually make the $2500 in the first few weeks. For example in the 3/6 games I would buy in for the $120 minimum and do exactly what Ed Miller said about making it a two round game. I didn't read the book before I started this I just didn't have alot of money and didn't know how to play the game. I haven't won that much money since I started buying in for the full amount.