Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Gigabet vs Negreanu?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the statement "i doubt gigabet is worth several million" seemed to be not relevant to the open challenge, and i deducted (sensed weakness) that the poster had a lack of understanding regarding the challenge... sometimes i'm wrong, but right now i still feel that i was probably correct in my read.

and 10% of your bankroll is not very much.

to illustrate how little 10% of your bankroll is---- how many buy-ins for the 50+5s is in your bankroll nottom? a conservative player like me might have 100 buy-ins. And a 10 buy-in drop happens on a regular basis....

should the frequency of a 10% drop in my bankroll lead me to increase my roll to 200 buy-ins? or is 10% not THAT much to be concerned about?

and regardless--- i neither suggested or recommended that anyone risk 10% of their bankroll on even a 60:40 shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if anyone has adressed this. The higher you go the larger the swings are because the edges are smaller. Having 100 buyins for the $55's is MUCH different than have 100 buyins for the $1,000 step 5 tourneys which is MUCH different than having 100 buyins for $100,000 HU matches.

You need more buyins the higher you go because if u do go broke, making that bankroll is VERY VERY hard for anyone. Compared to scrapping together $5k for 100 buyins at the $55's.

Also, you have to look at the money in terms of monetary value, not % of your bankroll. $100,000 can be spent elsewhere with much less risk, and much higher return. I think giga would rather play 7 higher step 5's than 1 $100,000 HU match vs one of the best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put
Old 05-18-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't know if anyone has adressed this. The higher you go the larger the swings are because the edges are smaller. Having 100 buyins for the $55's is MUCH different than have 100 buyins for the $1,000 step 5 tourneys which is MUCH different than having 100 buyins for $100,000 HU matches.

You need more buyins the higher you go because if u do go broke, making that bankroll is VERY VERY hard for anyone. Compared to scrapping together $5k for 100 buyins at the $55's.

Also, you have to look at the money in terms of monetary value, not % of your bankroll. $100,000 can be spent elsewhere with much less risk, and much higher return. I think giga would rather play 7 higher step 5's than 1 $100,000 HU match vs one of the best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, obviously taking on Negreanu makes little sense from purely an ROI vs bankroll risk standpoint. Nevertheless, it might be worth it to an unknown player for the experience, notoriety, and potential monetary gain beyond the stakes if he wins. Implied odds, one might say.

Of course that's easy for me to say, given that my bankroll and skill level is so small, I get excited to win $100 from a $22 SnG. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 03:54 PM

i play limit holdem HU all the time. more skill involved than STT,MTT,NL, and some other games i played. that said i wouldnt buy a stake in Gigabet because i dont know if hes any good at HU/limit.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 AM

huh?

i know that you're trying to be a wise-ass, but you're not proving or making any points... your example/question of 10 buy-ins is silly because a person's risk-of-ruin is so high that a 10 buy-in roll is suicide to begin with.

many people advocate having 30 buy-ins for your bankroll... in that case, only a 3 buy-in drop = -10% of your bankroll, and it doesn't seem to bother them... a drop of three buy-ins happens with such frequency that -10% must not be a big deal for them either (or else they would pad their roll, or wait to move up in limits)

so-- the reason why i have a 100 buy-in bankroll? because although losing 10% of my bankroll isn't a big deal, losing 50% is... a 10 buy-in swing isn't too bad.... a 20 or 30 buy-in swing can be psychologically devastating, especially if you're underfunded...

if i can expect to run into a 10 buy-in downswing with frequency, then surely it would be idiotic to only have a 10 buy-in roll....

if you were trying to make a point, i have clearly missed it.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:49 AM

it's possible that you are viewing the forums in a "flat" view, and, if so, i would wager that your misunderstanding arises from that.

as far as i know, you haven't indicated a misunderstanding of negreanu's challenge